Author Topic: Triumph 3TA Engine  (Read 6860 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph 3TA Engine
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 02:40:45 PM »
Ah Roy memories of Wednesday afternoons when I was supposed to be revising for my 'A' levels but instead spent weeks on end  stripping down my mate 'Shep's'  3TA (previously he had a Royal Oilfield Crusader Sports). Seem to remember there has a piddly little double piston oil pump . One afternoon his mum came home unexpectedly to bake buns and found the crankcases in her oven (we were getting the bearing out) and she hit the roof. Remember also seeing the Qualcast marks on castings and thinking 'lawnmower'. My mate used to wind me up about cost of parts for my CD175 sloper compared with his 3TA .. problem he was forever buying Triumph 'cheaper' parts and I never needed any Honda ones as my bike was utterly reliable!  His never had the 'bathtub' fitted ...does yours have it? Think we discovered the crankshaft  'sludge trap' after trashing brand new shells and a regrind  :-[ :-[  'Peters of Hull'  sold the Triumph parts and was also a Honda 5-Star dealer.

BTW for anyone interested  my Dropbox link for Edward Turner's Japan visit in the 60's   ... sorry about the scan file sizes !!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h7gwhdcesqsy9s6/AABWGK0eMvErNbJosSR0gbQla?dl=0
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:56:18 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
I are an enigere too, and I had an Edward Turner 2.5 V8 but it was fitted to my Daimler 250 V8 Saloon not a Jag!  :),  ( I also saw one fitted to a 1400bhp top fuel dragster but that's another story!)

P.S. Roy, leave an assortment of SOHC spares in the hollow tree at the end of my drive or you will never see your 3TA thread again!.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 04:29:44 PM by MarkCR750 »
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 04:55:37 PM »
I remember that dragster, cant just think of his name think it was Russ Carpenter. He was a regular at Santa Pod and always had a bikini clad woman oversee his burnout, the mans got class. Ironically that engine in it's early days was built using 8 re-machined Triumph Bonneville pistons. Full circle I think.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:06:43 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 05:50:33 PM »
As I remember it the V8 only went in Daimlers never Jags

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 08:06:18 PM »
I'm also pretty sure all the Jags had straight sixes back then - I think all Jags did until they introduced the V12 - but did the Daimler use the same bodyshell as the Jag?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 08:25:21 PM »
Not sure if the shells were completely identical, but it wouldn't surprise me if we are talking about the 70's jag XJ and Daimler Soveriegn. They had different grilles and badges, but shared a lot of common panels, wings, doors, boots etc, as they were the Leyland years :'( like the morris oxford and Austin Cambridge, only the grilles and badges told them apart externally!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 08:30:45 PM »
I'm also pretty sure all the Jags had straight sixes back then - I think all Jags did until they introduced the V12 - but did the Daimler use the same bodyshell as the Jag?
That's right, it was basically a mk2 jag with the ET V8 dropped in it, different grill and seats, they were almost all automatic (as mine was) the rumour was that this was done to keep the performance below that of the jags, it sounded fantastic at full chat, great car wish I'd never sold it
I ran it as a wedding car for a while, the one behind it was my fathers .

Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 08:34:18 PM »
These models were pre XJ. Not exactly sure but I'd guess we're talking mid to late 60's. Probably around the same time as the Oxford and Cambridge, and their very similar cousins the Wolseley (was it the 16/60?), Riley (4/75?) and MG Magnette.

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 09:32:25 PM »
Ash....thanks for the info on Edward Turner's visit to Japan.  Very interesting..........but isn't it typical of the British Motorcycle manufacturers that they dismissed the Japanese threat......to their ultimate regret - and shame.

Funnily enough I have a 1957 Triumph T110 Frame which was originally despatched to the Japanese Triumph Distributor Mikuni Shoko.....it came to me via the USA so perhaps it was taken home by a US Serviceman after his stint in Japan? I'll guess we will never know whether it was imported for a Customer or for 'evaluation'.

My elder Brother sent me to The 'Honda Shop' in Eccles when I was about 14 (1964) to collect some brochures for him on the 125 and 250 Honda's - complete with Electric Start and Indicators. I recall at the time that they were considerably cheaper, better made and equipped, and more reliable than anything which the British Motorcycle Industry was offering at the time and the 250 and 305 Dream Sports were not far short of the performance of the Gold Star's, Bonnies and Dominators of the day.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2016, 10:32:42 PM »
In my earlier post I was merely attempting (unsuccessfully) to differentiate between the Edward Turner V8 and the quad cam AJV8 which is in my present 2000 model year Daimler.

Jaguar cars bought Daimler and all assets oddly enough from BSA at the end of May 1960.
Edward Turners V8 engine was already in the glass fibre bodied Daimler Dart.  The Jag engineers fitted this engine into a rather rusty development shell from a Jag Mk1 (as they are now called) which was all they were allowed by their boss, Lofty England.  It out performed the straight six engine and then they eventually started production of the Daimler V8 using the Jag Mk2 bodyshell in its entirety. Only the grill, number plate lamp plinth, badges and some interior trim pieces were different. They were all autos.
They were in production from 1962 to 1967 before being renamed V8 250 for a couple more years and then dropped altogether at the introduction of the Series 1 XJ.

Now, where did that Qualcast flywheel go?  Sorry Roy!

Ian
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:36:19 PM by orcadian »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 12:05:50 AM »
That Edward Turner book is well worth reading ... I picked a copy up S/H  in a Corswolds quaint little bookshop a couple of years ago. Wasn't the Dart adopted by a police force somewhere if I remember correctly? Will have to dig out my copy again and check. It amazed me at the April Stafford show last tear  how much people paid for absolute sh*te Brit bike parts and 'barn' find projects.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 07:23:17 AM »
I know what you mean Ash. It amazes me twice a year at Stafford that anybody buys a project bike there. You can usually get a decent runner for the price they want for garbage. There was a CB350F "Project" for sale last year at £1900 and I would defy anybody to find a good usable part on it.

Full restored Bonneville's are changing hands in the mid teen thousands now. Does anybody really understand what makes one vehicle a classic and another scrap, isn't it weird. Case in point, the Triumph Herald. It was shite when it was new and its still shite when its restored to better than new. In fact they are dangerous to drive as they want to roll over if you pass 20 mph or there's a slight cross wind. But the prices are stratospheric?

But I can understand why the Daimler Dart isn't sky high (yet) its one ugly vehicle. Will be looking for the Edward Turner book though, that sounds like an interesting read.

Don't worry about the hijacked thread, it got way more interesting.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »
I know what you mean Ash. It amazes me twice a year at Stafford that anybody buys a project bike there. You can usually get a decent runner for the price they want for garbage. There was a CB350F "Project" for sale last year at £1900 and I would defy anybody to find a good usable part on it.

Full restored Bonneville's are changing hands in the mid teen thousands now. Does anybody really understand what makes one vehicle a classic and another scrap, isn't it weird. Case in point, the Triumph Herald. It was shite when it was new and its still shite when its restored to better than new. In fact they are dangerous to drive as they want to roll over if you pass 20 mph or there's a slight cross wind. But the prices are stratospheric?

But I can understand why the Daimler Dart isn't sky high (yet) its one ugly vehicle. Will be looking for the Edward Turner book though, that sounds like an interesting read.

I saw that 350 four POS too Roy ... and I thought the same as you.

The book seems to go for a lot more than I paid  ...you are welcome to a loan if you want to stump up the postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edward-Turner-The-man-behind-the-motorcycles-Jeff-Clew-book-TRIUMPH-AJS-BSA-/331740880070?hash=item4d3d4c1cc6:g:0VgAAOSwlV9WTfQ0

cheers
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:40:35 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2016, 06:47:50 AM »

I saw that 350 four POS too Roy ... and I thought the same as you.

The book seems to go for a lot more than I paid  ...you are welcome to a loan if you want to stump up the postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edward-Turner-The-man-behind-the-motorcycles-Jeff-Clew-book-TRIUMPH-AJS-BSA-/331740880070?hash=item4d3d4c1cc6:g:0VgAAOSwlV9WTfQ0

cheers
Thanks for that Ash. Have spent a couple of days looking for this book at a reasonable price. Struggling to even find one in stock. Will try a bit longer then I may take you up on your offer. Cheers.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2016, 07:56:40 AM »
Me again,
No mention of flywheels or Jaguar/Daimler today.

The Jeff Clew book on Edward Turner is available on Kindle for about £8 and on iBooks for £12.99
As it's a 2012 book, why not get your local library to get it for you on inter library loan? - there is usually a small charge.

Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal