Author Topic: Getting started with home BZP plating.  (Read 3961 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Getting started with home BZP plating.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 07:13:30 AM »
If Roy or anyone wants a circuit for using an old laptop or PC monitor power supply to provide an adjustable current limiting source suitable for home plating then I will post it on here it's based on an LM338 voltage regulator device setup in constant-current mode. I have three of these devices going spare to first takers for nothing.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm138.pdf

The neat thing about this is that it weighs next to nothing and takes up very little space.

The contraption   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ with it used a small motor and carbon brush off a washing machine to rotate the part in the electrolyte to give uniform 'throwing- power' in the plating bath.

(Attachment Link)
WOW!! ??? 8)
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 08:52:41 AM »
I have one of Ash's plating contraptions which is still in the box, never got round to using it as Ash said, it is much easier to leave it to the professionals, unless you are only doing one off parts. You also must be careful not to have any chrome or nice paint, as the vapour from the chemicals does nasty things to anything near by.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 07:45:11 AM »
I have one of Ash's plating contraptions which is still in the box, never got round to using it as Ash said, it is much easier to leave it to the professionals, unless you are only doing one off parts. You also must be careful not to have any chrome or nice paint, as the vapour from the chemicals does nasty things to anything near by.

Shame on you for not trying it out Graham  ;D ;D ;D ;D

BTW the worst vapour for corrosion is if you use Hydrochloric acid (brick cleaner) to strip BZP. Thats why I use my Alkaline brew in the old slow cooker ..much better results and a lot less corrosive.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »
If you don't want Ash's plating device Trigger can I have it to try out?
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 01:34:34 PM »
If you don't want Ash's plating device Trigger can I have it to try out?

I will get around to using it when I have just a few parts to do, but at the moment I seem to have shed loads.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 02:03:36 PM »
Roy .. how nifty are you with a soldering iron, as I could send you the electronic components and a laptop supply to make one , when I post your book.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 07:22:55 AM »
Thanks for the kind offer Ash.

I am going to shop around for a better deal with plating companies instead I think. Home plating appeared at first to be a great idea, but it looks a lot more involved than I first thought.

The last lot I had plated at Lancaster Bronze was a good job and reasonable price, but it just took weeks and weeks to get it back. That's not too bad if you can send a full bikes worth in one go, but as I'm building a special I'm going to find a lot of extra bits along the way so really need a quick turn around.

Will let you know Ash when I change my mind, as I just may end up having to do it myself.

Cheers.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 08:14:49 AM »
Thanks for the kind offer Ash.

I am going to shop around for a better deal with plating companies instead I think. Home plating appeared at first to be a great idea, but it looks a lot more involved than I first thought.

The last lot I had plated at Lancaster Bronze was a good job and reasonable price, but it just took weeks and weeks to get it back. That's not too bad if you can send a full bikes worth in one go, but as I'm building a special I'm going to find a lot of extra bits along the way so really need a quick turn around.

Will let you know Ash when I change my mind, as I just may end up having to do it myself.

Cheers.

No worries Roy...probably a wise decision.. There are some things commercial places won't plate like the fittings on oil hoses on the 750, so home plating is useful for that and small bits you forgot to include  (or if you live in the sticks) but like myself  and Trig said, better results and less hassle.

This lot cost me 50 quid at Allenchrome.co.uk and turnaround was 2-3 weeks. Got my second batch in there at the moment.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:17:48 AM by AshimotoK0 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal