Author Topic: Break leaking from pistons  (Read 1675 times)

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Break leaking from pistons
« on: September 24, 2016, 04:41:22 PM »
Well I've fitted new seals in my calipers pistons were in good order just been in garage and all 3 are leaking why .I bought these calipers from eBay .

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Break leaking from pistons
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 05:10:18 PM »
Did you thoroughly clean the grooves which the seals sit in? If they have the tiniest bit of crud in them they can leak. You say you bought the calipers from e bay, where did you get the seals? Reason I ask I've had a few from e bay over the years and they were rubbish. Only use genuine seals, brakes are safety critical, pattern parts are not worth the risk!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 08:13:03 PM »
I've used Honda parts on them they were very clean could the calipers be no good

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 08:33:28 PM »
Possibly, but unlikely all 3 would be knackered together, unless a previous owner has been careless cleaning them, using something seriously abrasive on the alloy, but I would think that unlikely. More of a possibility is incorrect pattern pistons, possibly supplied incorrectly or cost cutting!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 03:42:30 PM »
DON'T know what's going on with my breaks the seals don't appear to be leaking now .when I fitted the seals the day after they had leaked .so I wiped them clean .been 2 days now and they are still dry .any thoughts.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 05:16:50 PM »
DON'T know what's going on with my breaks the seals don't appear to be leaking now .when I fitted the seals the day after they had leaked .so I wiped them clean .been 2 days now and they are still dry .any thoughts.

have you used them ?

pump the brake leaver to move the pistons,then use a C clamp to push the pistons back,
  a soft seal makes for a good brake system,
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »

I had the same thing, new pistons , meticulously cleaned all of the original components, day after fitting one leaked, that was over a year ago and no leaks since, I put it down to residual oil I'd maybe not cleaned off the calliper/piston post assembly, hopefully yours will be the same.

have you used them ?

pump the brake leaver to move the pistons,then use a C clamp to push the pistons back,
  a soft seal makes for a good brake system,
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 10:18:12 PM »
No I haven't used them yet just pushed bike and pulled breaks .that's it .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal