Author Topic: oil tank breather  (Read 1243 times)

Offline diabolics

• View Profile
oil tank breather
« on: April 07, 2016, 05:21:46 PM »
Hi, the oil tank on my K2 has a small breather pipe on the top under the seat. It looks that there should be a pipe attatched to it. The previous owner had blocked it off with a small piece of pipe and a bolt this I knew was wrong. There is no mention of it in the Haynes manual that I can find. Should the breather pipe from the top of the engine connect to it. Oil comes out of the tank breather under load. Any helo appreciated.  Thanks Adrian

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
Re: oil tank breather
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 06:56:26 PM »

Should the breather pipe from the top of the engine connect to it.
;)
no the top pipe should hang down just like the engine breather,and the lower smaller pipe goes to the back of the gearbox

Offline diabolics

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:39:59 AM »
Ok thanks. Will have s look later today if I can. Can't think why oil should come out of the oil tank breather has snyone any ideas ?.

Offline diabolics

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 09:35:55 AM »
Me again,could anyone send me a pic of where these breather pipes should go. Previous owner had a little play around I think and they don't exist in the Haynes manual. Thanks again Adrian

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 10:36:23 AM »
Can't think why oil should come out of the oil tank breather has snyone any ideas ?.

It looks like it was an issue for the previous owner too, if it was blocked off. Engines usually chuck oil out of breathers when there is pressure in the crankcase / rocker cover. That could be blowby from worn pistons or rings, or other causes, you may have to consider pulling the engine and have a look in there.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal