Author Topic: Camshaft spacer  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Camshaft spacer
« on: April 13, 2016, 07:29:36 AM »
Good morning all.
Following a pleasant evening in the garage flitting my pistons (is there a special 'knack' or tool to refit the piston circlips, long nose pliers and swearing don't appear to work.....) I have a camshaft question that more knowledgeable folk than I could answer...... 
When I bought the 'project' in its various boxes the camshaft had a large washer attached to it. The camshaft lobes resembled a threepenny bit and I bought a good s/h from the US of A. Question.......should I refit the large washer, my old 400/4 didn't have this fitted, was it for an early camshaft? If I do have to refit it where should it go, camshaft flange side or the other side of the sprocket? How do I tell an 'early' camshaft that may need the large washer from a 'late' camshaft that doesn't need it? I cannot find any reference to the large washer in the Honda parts book or the Haynes manual.  I have checked on the forum as well. Maybe the 'large washer' was lying around on the guy's floor and he thought it was a bit of the 400/4 jigsaw????
Hope one of the forum guru's can help  :).
One last thing, I ordered a couple of new 'knock' bolts as they are referred to in the Honda parts book to fix the cam sprocket onto the cam, the part number has been superseded and the bolts I was supplied with by my Honda dealer are flange type, is this correct?
Dave
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Camshaft spacer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 07:51:33 AM »
Don't know of a camshaft washer Dave, and I've had my engine apart a few times.    A photo of the mysterious washer may provide a clue. although I suspect something got mixed up in the box of parts you got.
The flange type sprocket bolts have more surface contact so they're less likely to loosen.  I always locktite these on just in case.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 08:15:54 AM »
The 'knock' bolts Yamiya sell are the same 'suprseded'  flanged part. Someone on 'Hondatwins.net did torque tests on camshaft 'knock' bolts. CB250/350K engines have shims on the camshaft journals to take up endloat to desired spec. but can't remember them on the CB400/4
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 10:28:45 AM »
Thank you for your replies Mike and Ash.
I have taken a photo of the 'washer/spacer' and have attached it here.
The holes in the washer/spacer line up with the mounting holes of the camshaft sprocket next to it (I intend to re-use the cam sprocket as it only has a small amount of wear on the teeth unlike the camshaft itself that is completely worn out and 'lumpy' with wear). The spacer has no markings stamped on it such as 'Outside' etc.
Any thoughts, I have never seen one of these before and it appears to be 'genuine' but there is no mention of it in the Haynes, parts list or anywhere else?
Dave
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 01:45:53 PM »
Hi,
Was the washer actually bolted up when you got it?  If so, was it under the bolt heads and therefore only acting perhaps as an oil flinger, or was it between the sprocket and the cam flange and acting as a spacer?  My parts book doesn't show it, only the cam, sprocket and bolts.  If it was a spacer and you are using a different cam anyway, then if that cam had no spacer then I can see no reason to use it.  It would be difficult to check chain alignment to see if it had been a spacer with your original cam.
I haven't ever found one in a dozen or so 400/4 engines or either of the 2 350/4 units I have.
Strangely the part numbers for 350 and 400 are different and there are 2 listed numbers for 350 and the sprocket has what appear to be balance weights on one version but no washer or spacer on either.

Ian

Forgot to say, I have a pair of thinned down mosquito forceps (with a ratchet lock) which I use for those circlips but the most annoying bit for me is the one in the master cylinder, although there was a post some place for a little home made bent bar used to hold the piston down.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 01:52:51 PM by orcadian »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal