Author Topic: Fixed my misfire!  (Read 1059 times)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Fixed my misfire!
« on: April 25, 2016, 12:11:15 PM »
I have just fixed a horrible misfire that has been driving me nuts, more by accident than expertise.

When I first bought the bike, I had noticed occasional spitting from number 2 exhaust, and the first ride was very disappointing as I was riding a very flat Honda 3! Suddenly a spit, a bang and all was well.

A couple of weeks ago, out for a ride in the country I suddenly had a bad misfire, but it went as soon as it came. I did think at the time that it can't be anything good, and would inevitably come back to haunt me.

Last week I changed the pilot jets for new ones, as a couple were partly restricted by crud, and the finest wire on my carb cleaning set wouldn't go through. To my disappointment when I put everything back together the result was a bike on 3.5 cylinders, with occasional forays to 3 or 4 pots. I spent ages b*ggering about with the carbs, to no avail, but did convince myself that number 3 pot was the culprit. I changed that plug, burned my hand on the exhaust (then put a glove on) and all seemed Ok for a few miles. Then back to the misfire!  :(

Saturday, I pulled the plug cap from number 3, resistance seemed Ok, so I unscrewed number 2 cap to compare it to. Both were the original 'full metal jacket' caps, the outer two were already the plastic type when I got the bike. Got my multimeter out, er, shouldn't number 2 cap at least conduct electricity?

Down the local bikeshop, where after a hunt they found me a new NGK straight plugcap, cost £2.84. Went home, fitted it and started the bike. A huge bang as unburned fuel in the exhaust lit, if you have rusty or weak silencers I guess this could do damage. But the misfire is gone and a lesson learned.

I have ordered a new cap for number 3 as well, Ash you can have the metal one if it floats your 'originality' boat.

1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Fixed my misfire!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 05:52:19 PM »
Well done , a cheap and simple fix to a irritating problem
pete