Author Topic: Saddle  (Read 2405 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Saddle
« on: April 19, 2014, 01:43:07 PM »
Many years ago, I bought an aftermarket saddle which has a plastic base.   The cover on mine has now fallen apart and it is time to seek a replacement.  Not feeling inclined to spend my precious evenings messing about with a cover I was looking for a complete unit but was shocked to see that Dave Silvers want £125 for one, almost as much as my bike is worth!

Does anyone know where I can buy a complete aftermarket saddle, say for around £35?  Am I asking the impossible?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Saddle
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »
£125 sounds like a bargain to me  I think I had to pay just under £400 :o
You might get a cover for £35

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 03:08:10 PM »
prices go up and up, you would be surprised at the money your bike would fetch if you ever sold it, even with all its 'patina'.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 06:10:22 PM »
Perhaps recovering is the way forward.  Has anyone here done it, is it very difficult?

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 07:08:11 PM »
Florence,
Did my 750 one and it was my first ever bought a cover from a guy in the midlands I think ever so helpful stripped it blasted the pan, resprayed, foam was good fitted cover and real impressed on outcome,Not hard work
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 07:27:15 PM »
The ones from DSS rock on the frame and he gets them form morretti. I shipped a pan from the state, blasted down, paint, new foam,cover and bought another seat, just to take the chrome rails from it. Was not cheap but, well worth it in the end. Recovering is easy as long as the set pan is in good nick. 

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 07:35:21 PM »
Trig
The guy I got my cover from came with the chrome rails you cut to size.If any one wants the details will try and find the invoice from my mountain of bills.
The only different thing I did was to glue the seat trim as if you got off and on alot it came loose glued it now no problem solid
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 07:45:31 PM »
Bitsa, i got round that problem by drilling the pan for extra fittings. Florence did state that he wouldn't mind finding a aftermarket seat for about £35. That is the price of a cover ;) I have a orignal 550F seat (without rails) for 40.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:47:57 PM by trigger6969 »

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 08:20:31 PM »
Trig
I have the same problem here if I give it away some still think thats too dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All the best
Bitsa

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 08:23:30 PM »
The gold bike's looking awesome Bitsa...

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 08:47:56 PM »
What are you giving away Bitsa? and watch out James has his eyes on your Gold one ;)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 10:00:37 PM »
I put my own home made covers on, the vinyl fabric costs about £3 per meter off the roll, I genrally buy a few meters at a time as it makes good sidecar roofs too. Ok it's plian not patterned and no stitching - unless you want to spend ages replicating it. I never bother. You can if you feel so inclined cut and stich the thing to mould it to shape better, but it isn't really needed (just fold it neatly rather than leave a mess of ceases). Inpact adhesive and clamps do fairly well at sticking the new cover down and fairly neat results are possible. Best done on a nice hot day as the vinyl can streach more and takes more of the shape of the foam. I've done my 550/5k3 this way on a American inport seat base, and my Bmw r90/6 - think a few others over the years, not had to re do a seat cover or sidecar roof that I replaced yet, appart from when I altered the sidecar rear end.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 10:52:11 PM »
I want to see pictures. I have images of a sidecar with a tarp chucked over it.   ;D
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 08:25:23 AM »
Bitsa, i got round that problem by drilling the pan for extra fittings. Florence did state that he wouldn't mind finding a aftermarket seat for about £35. That is the price of a cover ;) I have a orignal 550F seat (without rails) for 40.

is it the same dimensions as 500/4 seat?   Sorry, scrub that I've just looked at a picture and it's a bit of a different shape.  Thanks all the same. 

I think I will get a cover and try that.  Thanks to all for suggestions.  I looked at Tony Archer, most excellent but too expensive.

All the best, Steve
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:31:31 AM by florence »

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 11:01:15 AM »
Thanks James
Bitsa

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal