Author Topic: Continental rb2 &k112  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Continental rb2 &k112
« on: April 21, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »
Well I finally got around to fitting my new tyres. What a Bastard it's been I haven't changed a tyre for about 12 years.
I'm a little worried the last time I run a ribbed tyre in I came off mid corner. :-[   
Watch this space
All this talk about pipes recently made me look at mine the backs were totally smothered in crap and tiny rust spots so of they came and 6 coats of polish latter they now look as good as new.On removal about an eggcup full of water came out of the weep holes and I had only used it the day before.Maybe I should stop using the bike in the rain if I want these pipes to last.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Continental rb2 &k112
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 05:57:03 AM »
he water wasnt rain mate its condensation from exhaust gases, there is a man local to me who has god knows how old 500 four original pipes that come off every winter and get stood in a 45 gall drum of old old, smoke like a b*std when first started but no rust or rot!!!

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 09:02:37 PM »
Hi Brian I know the moisture in the pipes is condensation I just couldn't believe how much was in them considering I had only used it the day before.
The pipes on my pegaso rotted out due to condensation but it was shearing the garage with the tumble drier.
I just couldn't believe how much rust had appeared on the outside mainly were you can't get to them when fitted 
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:06:03 PM »
Sods law bastard aint it try living here.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »
It's worse than that (water) the by-products of combustion are effectively a mild acid, that's why it gets to the exhaust steel so easily.

And it's even worse than that, when you see rust spots on chrome-plate it's not the chrome that's rusting. Chromium does't rust, that's what makes stainless steel "stainless" as it's alloyed with steel in various percentages to gives different levels of resistance. The rust is from the underlying steel that is corroding and passing through pores in the chrome so that you can see them.....that's why Bryan's local 500 guy has got his pipes to last so long by nuetralising the acid and excluding the oxygen.

The best you can do when in use is to run it as close to lean as reasonably possible for less unburnt fuel and never switch off and park it unless the pipes are really hot.....rain on the outside doesn't reall do much except cool the pipes and help cool the gases inside to leave the pipe's condensation inside the pipes and dripping out the drain holes.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 11:30:55 PM »
Theirs no fear of my bike going away cold if I use it it's normally a minimum of a 50mile trip one way.
I think the biggest problem is I never seem to have the time to clean the bike as much as I would like.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal