Author Topic: Best place for Dating Certificate  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Best place for Dating Certificate
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 05:39:08 PM »
Dvla do seem to be tightening up...
This senario seems a bit loopy...
As the v5 has absolutley every bit of information they require and its their bloody paper work...
Unbebloodyleavable

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 09:02:34 PM »
Next issue is the stamping in the frame isn't very deep and they want a clear photo of it. I have cleared all paint off the area  and  corrosion using weak phosphoric acid. It's clear (ish)  close up with the naked eye, that it's original, authentic & correct fonts but not photoing too well. Any ideas? It has the alloy plate too and that's pretty clear but they say the headstock stamping is the most important detail required (plus engine no. of course).
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 09:20:56 PM »
Try brushing over it with white emulsion paint, then wipe the area with a damp cloth. Being water based the excess will come away, but do it gently, then the paint will remain in the stampings giving a clear view of the numbers.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 07:24:21 AM »
I done similar but used white chalk...
I also used a good digital camera and for some reason it was clearer if i took it from about 4-6 foot then zoomed in on the picture...when from close up i guess it was capturing all the glare and other crud...

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 07:32:02 AM »
Keeping an eye on this thread Ash as I will probably have to go down the same route with my Bomber....... What are the bikes you are trying to get through, are they in an MOT condition?....... The reason I ask is that a mate has been in the same position. In the end he took it for an MOT and about 2 weeks later it magically appeared on the DVLA website, then they accepted his V5 without question........ It appears to be something to do with lost bikes details being used to sell stolen bikes (if that makes sense). Once its MOTed they appear to accept that its the correct bike as its been inspected................ No proof that any of this is actually true as we only have the opinion of the MOT tester, but it worked a treat for my mates 1969 bike so who knows. The DVLA appear to make up the rules as they go along.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Online Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 07:48:33 AM »
Hi Ash/Roy,
That's exactly what I did recently - but I had not checked with anyone at DVLA, I avoid that whenever possible.
I had a bike, and an old single sheet V5 in my name.  Got an MOT, took the docs to the Post office, they quickly perused them, taxed it (free) and sent the V5 away and I got a red V5c within a week.  This can not work with an old buff or green logbook obviously but an old V5 is already computerised - unless they have changed the system very recently,
Confused of Orkney

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 07:59:23 AM »
Keeping an eye on this thread Ash as I will probably have to go down the same route with my Bomber....... What are the bikes you are trying to get through, are they in an MOT condition?....... The reason I ask is that a mate has been in the same position. In the end he took it for an MOT and about 2 weeks later it magically appeared on the DVLA website, then they accepted his V5 without question........ It appears to be something to do with lost bikes details being used to sell stolen bikes (if that makes sense). Once its MOTed they appear to accept that its the correct bike as its been inspected................ No proof that any of this is actually true as we only have the opinion of the MOT tester, but it worked a treat for my mates 1969 bike so who knows. The DVLA appear to make up the rules as they go along.

It's a CB250G5 that I just sold..he's collecting it tonight hopefully. (hoping buyer may become a member here as he's doing a total restoration as its only done 2k miles..thank God he's not going to 'cafe' it). My other bikes (all from Crawley) that have registration issues are my CB72 that only has green logbook and a CB250K0 that's only got green logbook. My Bomber has old V5 and is on DVLA ..so hoping that will be more straightforward. I also have a CB250K0 that's got no docs but it  is on the DVLA register. The  CB250K0's (both '69's) I got from the 'Crawley garden and garage' ..I already have two of them but they didn't have matching numbers so I am using them to create two matching no's bikes plus one is only showing 4.5k miles, so  using all of the 'shiny'  :) bits from my others to make a stunning resto.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 08:03:23 AM »
Hi Ash/Roy,
That's exactly what I did recently - but I had not checked with anyone at DVLA, I avoid that whenever possible.
I had a bike, and an old single sheet V5 in my name.  Got an MOT, took the docs to the Post office, they quickly perused them, taxed it (free) and sent the V5 away and I got a red V5c within a week.  This can not work with an old buff or green logbook obviously but an old V5 is already computerised - unless they have changed the system very recently,
Confused of Orkney

Might be wrong on this but these bikes are all London/E. Sussex  registered, apart from Roy's Bomber which came from Chester. I think some authorities (a few southern based ones included) were lax or records lost or whatever when computerisation came in  but in two separate enquires DVLA  are telling me that they have no record of the bike and I need to go the V765 route. Both VJMC & HOC also confirm that I need to complete V765 and have it authenticated.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:07:18 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 08:13:59 AM »
The least communication you have with DVLA the better, it will flag up every time you contact them and you are only speaking to monkeys that are looking at the same screen.
The MOT system is run by ATOS and if a bike is MOTed, then it does exist and will jump the system. Don't ask how I know these things  ;) ;)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 08:21:00 AM »
Ash why not go to your friendl mot man with the reg and ask him if his system will accept the reg

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 08:58:27 AM »
Ash why not go to your friendl mot man with the reg and ask him if his system will accept the reg

It's basically a case of toe-the-line now Bryan, as I have sold the bike on the proviso that I set the wheels in motion to obtain a V5C but luckily the guy seems a decent chap and is going to totally restore it anyway, &  in a  month or so it should be sorted it out  ...plus I will then  be a member of VJMC. Yes, I could have MOT'd it but that's more hassle and expense (changing tyres,  etc.) .. Point taken for the other bikes that I am keeping though ..... If they have an old V5 I will just try and MOT them and take it from there. My CX500B has the old V5 and is on the DVLA register, so fingers crossed on that one being pretty straightforward. BTW ..I stripped and fixed the non-working horn on the G5 (same as 400/4) so it can be done and I will fully write the procedure up sometime soon, as they are getting rare.  Already started the bones of it on here.

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,13195.0.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:00:31 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 12:39:27 PM »
Well a phone call to the DVLA certainly muddied the waters for me. I wanted to clarify EXACTLY what I needed to send and the list has increased dramatically since the last time I checked. I now need a V55/5, a V765, a photo, my old V5, dating certificate and it needs inspecting. However the real fly in the ointment is that the bike needs to be complete, it's not and I don't really have any intentions of completing it any time soon. I got into a discussion about the HOC looking at it as well, who gave them powers to decide if I can still use my registration number? the old V5 is DVLA issued and yet they won't seem to accept the information on there, they claim to have a partial record of my bike but said that at the time the records were computerised there wasn't enough information to record my bike so they didn't bother, what other information did they need? it had the correct name and address, the correct reg No and the correct engine/frame number, what else did they need? insurance and MOT details weren't computerised the time they did this so can't be those. Seems because it wasn't taxed the presumed it was scrapped but who's fault is that presumption?  and who's paying the price for that now?

That's more or less exactly what they told me Ken You have to send the V765 off to an approved validation organisation (e.s VJMC or HOC for our bikes) Bike must be complete and original and you need a minimum of two full-on,  with bike fully vertical,  pictures, both sides of the bike plus clear photos of the engine number and frame stampings plus a clear photo alloy plate, if fitted. The only thing for me is that the buyer picked up the bike last night and told me he is totally stripping it to restore but not for at least a year, so I have a bit of grace time to sort out his V5C plus it's set me on the 'learning curve' for registering classics. Got to agree that their watermarked old V5 isn't worth the paper it's printed on it would seem, which I find incredible. I think HOC would accept a printed proper scan (not photo) of the old V5 but VJMC seemed to request the original document. Seems pretty likely an inspection will be made as well but, at the present time at least, I don't think you are charged extra for that.

This is what I got back from VJMC:

Ashley,

How come the DVLA have no record of your V5 have they explained?

If you go to our website www.vjmc.com then click dating then V765, all the information is there what you need to do. The simplest method would be for you to send me your v765 and application and I will return to you with dating letter for you to send of the lot to DVLA. You should also fill in the V55/5, and meet their requirments.
Regards
Ray Davis - Dating Officer VJMC

http://www.vjmc.com/classic-motorcycle-dating-service-b.html
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:13:01 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 06:25:32 PM »
Just reading the post and beginning to worry! My CR750 build is based on a 72 K2 frame from DK with a NOVA Cert. Just read previous post that says bike must be standard - am I stuffed!
Sorry - don't want to highjack the post
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 09:08:35 PM »
Just reading the post and beginning to worry! My CR750 build is based on a 72 K2 frame from DK with a NOVA Cert. Just read previous post that says bike must be standard - am I stuffed!
Sorry - don't want to highjack the post
Phil

You are not hijacking Phil .. There must be loads of people doing the same as you with specials .. worth dropping an email to VJMC  .. initial advice is free ... got be a common sense way forward .. might have been scaremongering from the guy who told me that they insisted on standard trim on a GS750 of his that  they sent an inspector to examine.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:12:06 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 10:15:00 PM »
Cheers Ash - I'll make some enquiries
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal