Author Topic: Carburettors  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Carburettors
« on: October 20, 2021, 02:19:58 PM »
Just thought I’d showcase my new carbs from Gerben. Bought for a new cash strapped project to start on completion of the 550. His work is just brilliant and I’d recommend him for his replacement/exchange service.

Definitely better than my efforts.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Carburettors
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 02:35:07 PM »
OOSH! :o      details please!

I fancy some of that, they look phenomenal and a better carry on than I can do here. Im doing the motor so it'd be nice to relieve the workload some what I think. WELL DONE what a great parcel to come home to. :)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 02:41:30 PM »
Gerben can be found on eBay. Gerben 1956 or just type in CB550 Carburetor. Gerben work features elsewhere on this forum. Try the search function for more details.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 02:46:07 PM »
This was my effort on the 550. I prefer mine slightly as they retain the original yellow passivate finish. The real headache is the pivot bar, which is prone to corrosion and was originally hard chromed. I just cleaned mine up and varnished it.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 03:06:41 PM »
Ahh, right. I took my ‘hard chrome’ cue from a forum member. Looking back I think he had them removed for hard chroming…so your suggestion they are satin chromed is probably correct. I’ll be doing the same.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 06:16:06 PM »
Why hasn't he sorted the actuating spindle out, he's clearly had them apart but put a rusty spindle back in place. Seems a little cheap to me for the price he charges.

Ohhh jinx

Oh and I don't think they are hard chromed, they mark and rust far too easily for that to be the case, I think they are satin chromed.

My 400/4 Gerben ones,  which I must admit I bought from a member on here, not directly, work and look great but being picky:-
a) He used pattern brassware (I think he only fits original Keihin now though).
b) He silver painted the alloy link casting, which is not standard.
c) Some of the JIS screws were replated slightly nadgered ones.
d) He only fitted the plastic air-screw covers to the two  outer carbs.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 06:57:48 PM »
This was my effort on the 550. I prefer mine slightly as they retain the original yellow passivate finish. The real headache is the pivot bar, which is prone to corrosion and was originally hard chromed. I just cleaned mine up and varnished it.

Nope, cant find any reference on ebay as a seller or anything, same on here only the three mentions above, must be me then ::)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 07:01:23 PM »

Nope, cant find any reference on ebay as a seller or anything, same on here only the three mentions above, must be me then ::)
gerbenhilly@hotmail.com
His full name is Gerben van der Meer and he is in Almere Holland.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 07:04:01 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 07:12:19 PM »
Thanks Julie ;) 8)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 08:05:11 PM »
Yep, that’s him. Decent bloke to deal with IMHO

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 08:31:43 PM »
This bloke.

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 04:43:18 PM »
It's not without hesitation I present a link to the first of six videos on Youtube dealing with the assembly of a set of Honda CB500 carbs. Hesitation, because I cannot recommend separating the carbs from the rack. Anyway, out of curiosity it's been done by a German, who took his carbs completely apart, to even the smallest parts. I've so learned about the why of all the components and why Honda went to such great length, to arrive at an ultimately reliable and robust rack of carbs. Marco's carbs are the 649A type, we had in continental Europe, but the videos equally deal with the 627B, 022A, 069A and 087A variants, which after all only differ in jetting. The content even applies to the carbs on the CB350/400F models.
I don't know if the German language is an obstacle, but Marco's voice is pleasantly quiet, modest and lacks the Hi guys hysteria we have to endure in other vids. Although - again - I cannot recommend separating the carbs, the videos are certainly worth watching. Marco is a pleasant person and just watching his work, gave me a sort of Zen experience. Excellent stuff for a rainy afternoon. Enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXD7F4q72M4
It's the first of six and in the serie no detail has escaped Marco's attention.
If you're interested, you may also watch his vids dealing with the disassembly. I know the language can be a problem, but his vids are outstanding, the best I've come across. If you urgently need to know what is said at a particular moment, I may be of help.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 10:15:06 PM »
Thanks for the links but like Ken, I have no issue with taking them off the rack and in a million bits to get a thorough clean. As long as all the same bits that came off the individual carb, go back on that carb there's really no issue. Its not a hard job, just one full of concentration. I only asked as i might ship this set out as time might be a problem because we might be moving and if i'm gonna start it, I have to get it somewhere near before we move. Im not into shuffling stuff about half done, thats how bits get lost!

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 07:44:22 AM »
[...] I have no issue with taking them off the rack and in a million bits to get a thorough clean. [...]
And that's my point. At least you're open about it: your desire for 'a thorough clean'. My objective was and is to inform others, there are no technical reasons to take carbs thus far apart. Most of us here are amateurs and may mistakenly conclude it's a good procedure to overhaul carbs.
There is also this. Clean and - no doubt - polished carbs, will only be a temporary achievement, good for a concours presentation. Carbs wil be dusty and dull again in no time, even more after a few rides. I've posted that link (there are six on the assembly and three about the disassembly), because Marco clearly demonstrates there's no technical need to do, what he has done. Nonetheless his vids contain good info on how these carbs work. In the process he shows how to arrive at a perfect initial sync and adresses an error on p.8 (Fig. 5) in the Shop Manual CB500-550.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 11:01:24 AM by deltarider »

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 10:32:00 AM »
All good stuff. I fully stripped mine for a meticulously clean and inspection. I replaced some parts with genuine Honda parts at some significant expense and reassembled without any dramas, other routing the fuel pipes the wrong way. Nobody on the forum spotted the error in my original pics, or they were too polite to mention it.

I felt it was well worth the effort and I now know exactly what’s in them and that they are as good as they can be. I was fortunate as my carbs were completely virgin without any signs of previous work. I’ll be doing it again, probably, as I want to get maximum use out of my US cleaner and I’d like to complete the job with a hard chromed link bar.

One question for all: My 1977 F2 carbs had yellow passivate finish to some components. Was this true of all CB500/CB550 carbs?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal