Author Topic: 400/4 brake caliper wanted  (Read 602 times)

Offline Honsa

• View Profile
400/4 brake caliper wanted
« on: October 21, 2021, 07:59:13 PM »
Now that my 400 is looking half way decent the front brake caliper is becoming more and more of an eyesore. Looks like its been down the road at some time and the brake pipe will only seal the help of some PTFE tape. Anyone got a good one that they don't need?
                Graham   
Graham

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 brake caliper wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:05:06 PM »
Look for a 250G5 or CJ also 500 four or twin and 550 as well, theyare all same, i believe Silverdoes some decent repos

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 06:59:58 AM »
How long have classic Honda biTs been on Amazon?

Bezos has surely taken over the world…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Tiger 900 GT Pro
1971 CB500K0

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 07:00:45 AM »
Has anyone used the MATI ones from A mazon? Any feedback about quality of effectiveness?
andy120t

CB650 project
CB400F frame - just missing a few bits...
ZX6R
GSXR 7/11
Triumph 5TA

Offline K2-K6

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 09:21:28 AM »
Has anyone used the MATI ones from A mazon? Any feedback about quality of effectiveness?

It's something that needs judgement to see what you really get. The posted reviews there are significantly split.

There's some superb manufacturing delivered from China or labelled under Chinese manufacturing, a huge % of cycle components at all levels coming from Taiwan (labelled PRC origins) and that region absolutely leads high end manufacturing in that field.

There's also some absolutely dire production in copies of existing components that is shockingly poor from there too. You don't know what you're going to get really. Metallurgy and accuracy can be particularly bad, with threads in castings a particular concern (baggy tolerances and likely to pull out from poor materials integrity) needing very careful inspection and verification.

Brake calipers by their nature are effectively over engineered with generally decent surplus material that accept additional weight as part of pure long term reliability, they should be easy to replicate for any competent facility. But hidden within that process is the quality of the aluminium alloy that you can't see and produces risk of failure under load however well they've been finished.

Offline Honsa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 02:49:48 PM »
Thanks Bryanj, that's opened up the field when it comes to searching. I've spent a good wad of money making the bike road worthy so did'nt want to go down the DS route if i could get a good S/H caliper. They used appear regularly on eBay but since i've been looking.............
Taiwan is i think the biggest producer of chain in the world, as well as Imperial size spanners i.e. A/F and bicycles etc,etc. No wonder China wants the place back....gulp! Thanks for your interest guys.
          Graham 
Graham

Offline K2-K6

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 04:31:52 PM »

Offline K2-K6

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 04:36:33 PM »

Offline Honsa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 09:10:25 PM »
Thanks K2-K6 for having a look around eBay, but being short of arm and deep of pocket i've bought one off eBay that was located in Berkshire. It was off a 500/4 and the seller seems to know what he is doing. Needs paint and a taste of a Dremel polishing mop to clean up the cylinder. The only Hondas i'd had before the 400/4 were Cubs so Bryanj's suggestions as to what other Hondas to look out for has paid off. Out for run on Sunday round East Lothian and a bit Berwickshire with the scuffed up caliper in charge of retardation for the last time.
           Thanks all
                 Graham
Graham

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 06:36:17 AM »
Dont use a dremel on the sealgroove use a dental pick to getall the crud out of the corners

Offline Honsa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 08:59:06 PM »
  Bryanj     That's ok thanks i was going to use one of the larger mops to give the inside a (very) light clean up.
                      Graham
Graham

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 08:21:27 AM »
I cleaned mine with a  Petrol soak using a small paint brush to clean out the edges. A small cloth strip wrapped over a thin plastic strip for very stubborn bits. I was worried about scratching / marking it with anything made of metal. I guess it depends on the level of corrosion you have.
Honda CB400F2 under restoration
Land Rover Freelander Series 2
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK
Mercedes R129 SL500

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 10:27:15 AM »
The seal groove gets a hard corrosion in it and even the dremel wire wheels just polish the crud hence the dental pick but only the gtoove, the main bore just solvol and rag.

If ANY pits on the piston fit a stainless one and of course a new seal, there is a recommended seller on here who does a kit for less than £30, cheaper direct than off ebay

Offline Honsa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 07:58:33 PM »
Somewhat similar to Macabethiele (Ted) i usually leave dirty parts in a pot of brake cleaner for a few days and then clear the grot away with a toothbrush which are available in several different grades these days. Don't have a dental pick at the mo but if necessary i will take your tip Bryanj and get one, ditto the piston and seal. Did'nt know that you could get them from this site so that's another good shout. I found a few sites selling what was claimed to be brake fluid resistant paint, at a variety of prices, can't be any worse than several other paint types i have tried, was going to try powder coating and still might depending on the result using the paint.
      Thanks for all your help.    :)       G
Graham

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal