Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: paulbaker1954 on April 26, 2016, 06:24:35 AM
-
Sent off mÅ· V55 2 weeks ago along with
VJMC Stamped dating letter
Photos of bike
Photos of vin plate clearly showing 10/71
Photos of engine number
Mot
And yet they still now want to come and do an inspection which will take apparently 5 days to arrange and then....
Worse still because I could only insure on the vin number for 4 weeks apparently my insurance which cost me 70 quid will lapse and will need to be re taken out
How much evidence do they need
Maybe a picture of a japanese factory worker off the original line holding a calendar of 1971 up would have helped :) :) :)
-
Ridiculous Paul.
Anyone know if you have the original USA title... is it any different?
-
New one on me, never known the DVLA to come out to do a visual inspection. They can make an appointment for you and the vehicle to appear at Swansea. I do know that in the world of VOSA that the DVLA will pic a vehicle every now and again for inspection and this is happening more with the large amounts of foreign imports.
I do know someone recently that bought a Harley imported from the states that turned out to be on the stolen list.
-
My mate in York bought a CB500K1 from DK a month or two back. DVLA have told him that they may need to inspect it. But it had no title, only the dating cert.that he is obtaining from VJMC
-
It's either because they suspect the Vehicle might be 'dodgy' or you are unfortunate that it's just one of the routine/ random spot checks which they have to carry out to demonstrate that they don't just register 'anything which comes along'.
I bought a bike some years ago and a few days after changing the log book ownership details I had a visit from two Detectives who gave it the once over...........to check that the frame and engine numbers matched as it had been in an accident.
They looked a bit sheepish when I told that that the bloke I bought it off was a serving Policeman.
I'm sure your Insurers will accommodate you if you talk to them.
-
It used to be if the dating latter was from the manufacturer no inspection if a dating service possible inspection, and when I did this years ago i phoned the insurance company and eplained that dvla were pissing about and they extended the time for me, try it it cant make it any worse
-
A mate of mine who builds bikes has the inspector round on a regular basis if the bikes have no original title. So it's not unusual. If you have the USA title docs it just sails through. Insurance will extend you 1 extra month foc if you ring them.
Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
-
Called DVLA and got the line that they need to inspect because it's never been on the UK system dah dah dah. Tried to negotiate nicely but no movement. Have to contact an outfit called SGS who will give me an inspection date in up to 5 days.
I am thinking now I wasted £35 getting the VJMC letter and should just have gone for an inspection in the first place.
I cant get a Honda letter either and didn't have original USA title doument.
However DVLA guy said they get SGS report back within 72 hours and once they have it he can advice me the reg number over the phone so that may help
One option to speed up process is to take it to a garage. Anyone know if it is legal to ride it to this inspection garage with no Reg plate given that it has insurance and valid MOT?
-
I had nothing but a receipt with a NOVA number on it, a VJMC letter was fine, after Honda had messed me about for a while, so maybe you are just unlucky. I did wonder how if at all they could check if a bike had been reported stolen in another country.
Anyone know if it is legal to ride it to this inspection garage with no Reg plate given that it has insurance and valid MOT?
Probably not, or everyone would be doing it as they shot past speed cameras. At the very least it's asking for a pull, probably best to borrow a van or trailer. My friend may have used a plate off another bike he owned, but that's definitely illegal.
-
Argh the old plate off another bike ploy. No officer I haven't done that the last 3 times I did the registration thing.
Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
-
I rode my bike to and from the MOT station without a reg the insurance company were more than happy to let me they said you have to get it there some how.I asked if I could ride it after it passing the MOT wile I wait for the reg he said I can't see why not just carry your paperwork with you and don't take the piss.
I won't honest ;)
-
Legally you can ride/drive to and from a PRE BOOKED MOT with no plates on chassis number insurance but not anywhere else as it is not a vehicle till registered, it does not say the nearest MOT station so in theory you could live in Southend and MOT it in Glasgow
-
Hooray after my inspection on Wednesday DVLA have issued me an age related plate so once my plate arrives and some decent weather Henry the Honda as my bike has been christened can see some road 😀😀😀😀😀😀
-
Legally you can ride/drive to and from a PRE BOOKED MOT with no plates on chassis number insurance but not anywhere else as it is not a vehicle till registered, it does not say the nearest MOT station so in theory you could live in Southend and MOT it in Glasgow
I did a long one once. Came across a Ram 350 camper in Greece, put the V5 in my name, drove it back to the UK with a hole in the exhaust that you could get your fist in. Off the ferry in dover, got pulled for no tax disc and MOT, explained to the officer that I could not tax the camper without a MOT and it was booked in the next day at my mates in Milton Keynes.
2,234 miles to a MOT station ;D ;D ;D