Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Seabeowner on May 23, 2016, 07:12:02 PM

Title: Air filter spring
Post by: Seabeowner on May 23, 2016, 07:12:02 PM
Hi, Have three 500/550s and none have the air filter retaining spring. Need advice to make, as not great at this.
Channel looks to be about 13mm. What type of steel to use and approx what thickness (gauge). I can use the cmsnl pic for approx shape unless anyone has anymore detail.
Thanks, Phil
Title: Re: Air filter spring
Post by: Johnwebley on May 23, 2016, 07:54:10 PM
its a spring steel,about 1mm thick,

Title: Re: Air filter spring
Post by: Trigger on May 23, 2016, 07:59:04 PM
A CD250 and I think a XL125 are nearly the same and will work.
Title: Re: Air filter spring
Post by: Seabeowner on May 24, 2016, 06:21:59 PM
Thanks, I'll get some spring steel and have a go a forming a couple of bends...or I could go for something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/79-HONDA-XL250S-AIR-FILTER-RETAINER-CLIP-KEEPER-/400635512995?hash=item5d47bcc8a3:g:9kEAAMXQVT9SwfD1

Looks like a bargain.
Title: Re: Air filter spring
Post by: Honda Al on May 24, 2016, 06:39:42 PM
I still have the original in my bike. If you like, I'll take some photos of it against graph paper to give a rough guide for measurements and I can measure width, thickness, etc.

Just let me know if that's useful.

Alan
Title: Re: Air filter spring
Post by: matthewmosse on May 24, 2016, 07:03:53 PM
As its function is just to push the air filter against the far face of the filter chamber, anything that gets that done is going to be ok. I have on one of my cb550s just wedged a bit of wood behind there, bike ran just as well, if not better than the similar cb550 that sported the correct spring.
Title: Re: Air filter spring
Post by: Woodside on May 24, 2016, 08:30:50 PM
As always Matt you are the voice of reason...if it works ?
Title: Re: Air filter spring
Post by: Trigger on May 25, 2016, 09:16:47 AM
Thanks, I'll get some spring steel and have a go a forming a couple of bends...or I could go for something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/79-HONDA-XL250S-AIR-FILTER-RETAINER-CLIP-KEEPER-/400635512995?hash=item5d47bcc8a3:g:9kEAAMXQVT9SwfD1

Looks like a bargain.

That is unbelievable seeing you can sill get the OEM one for about £7.Part No, 17217-385-000
Title: Re: Air filter spring
Post by: Seabeowner on May 25, 2016, 09:22:37 AM
Alan, If you take a pic of the profile (or draw around) with a rule or tape alongside and post it it would be useful. I am going on the material being about 13mm wide and 1mm thick unless you tell me otherwise.
Thanks, Phil
Title: Re: Air filter spring
Post by: Honda Al on May 25, 2016, 07:20:56 PM
Here you go, hope this helps. No picture but the thickness measured 0.75mm.

Alan
Title: Re: Air filter spring
Post by: Seabeowner on May 25, 2016, 09:49:20 PM
Thanks Alan, I'll let you know.
Phil