Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: petermigreen on May 23, 2016, 07:46:09 PM

Title: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: petermigreen on May 23, 2016, 07:46:09 PM
I've been wondering, will 70's SOHC engines run on unleaded fuel straight out of the box or do you require an engine with hardened valve seats or add lead?

My only experience is with a 2 stroke so no valves ;D and my old car has the hardened seats.

Thanks, Peter
Title: Re: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: Johnwebley on May 23, 2016, 07:52:31 PM
should be no problems,

 
Title: Re: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: royhall on May 24, 2016, 07:11:37 AM
BP Super Unleaded. Unless you're in the South West it doesn't contain Ethanol. Not until April next year anyway.

Title: Re: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: petermigreen on May 24, 2016, 07:55:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. I tend to use Esso super unleaded in my old vehicles as I understand it has the highest octane value.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: tom400f on May 24, 2016, 09:09:06 AM
BP Super Unleaded. Unless you're in the South West it doesn't contain Ethanol. Not until April next year anyway.

Are you talking about BP Ultimate? I use it exclusively. What's happening in April?
Title: Re: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: hairygit on May 24, 2016, 10:04:34 AM
They're going to start adding ethanol to it, which is bad news for older vehicles, it attacks rubber parts, fuel lines "o" rings etc, and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, rotting your fuel tank from the inside out. They have no choice about it though, it's down to the E.U. forcing fuel companies to put ever increasing amounts of "bio fuel" in petrol, to save the world's fuel supply and reduce emissions, and if it upsets your old car or bike, buy a new one is their theory. Remember that next month, tell the meddling eurocrats what you think!   
Title: Re: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: gtmdriver on May 24, 2016, 02:41:30 PM
Using specific fuel blends known to be Ethanol free is perfect if you can be sure that one of their outlets will always be available when you need to fill up.

I carry a bottle of Frost Ethomix with me in case I have no choice but to use E5 or E10. It is one of the few additives that was found to be effective when tested by the FBHVC. Sadly it can't protect the flexible pipes and other non metallic parts but it does prevent corrosion of the steel, alloy and brass components.
Title: Re: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: royhall on May 24, 2016, 03:19:45 PM
BP Super Unleaded. Unless you're in the South West it doesn't contain Ethanol. Not until April next year anyway.

Are you talking about BP Ultimate? I use it exclusively. What's happening in April?
BP Ultimate, that's the baby. The EU already says that petrol must contain 5% Ethanol and it should be in force now. Our government said it wont enforce it until April 2017, that's the point the EU has threatened to take legal action against the UK government if its not done.
Title: Re: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: Clem2112 on June 01, 2016, 12:03:03 PM
The only reason I need for exiting the EU !
Title: Re: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: hairygit on June 01, 2016, 12:08:48 PM
There are lots of anti biker laws waiting to be forced upon us if we stay in, but that's another discussion entirely!
Title: Re: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: royhall on June 01, 2016, 04:56:19 PM
Politics will get you in an argument every time. Now about the Honda's. ;)
Title: Re: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: Clem2112 on June 01, 2016, 07:44:48 PM
I read that ethanol free 98 fuels go off quicker than the regular E95 stuff......
Discuss
Title: Re: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: gtmdriver on June 05, 2016, 09:52:49 AM
There are lots of anti biker laws waiting to be forced upon us if we stay in, but that's another discussion entirely!

It's not an anti-biker law. It affects cars too.

I have always run kit cars and they tend to be based on older donor vehicles.

I'm currently running a car based on a 1970 VW Beetle and I'm having exactly the same issues as I have with my 1974 CB350F.
Title: Re: Unleaded Fuel
Post by: hairygit on June 05, 2016, 09:55:23 AM
Not talking about fuel, talking about full sleeve dayglo jackets and headlights becoming compulsory, plus many more anti bike rulings!

Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk