Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: masonmart on May 24, 2016, 05:23:54 PM
-
This strange CB500 that I have been blessed with restoring has sprung another surprise. I didn't think anything when I disassembled the engine but the clutch lifter rod was in two pieces; the part from the clutch to the LHS stopped short of the oil seal and there was a second piece that took it out to the clutch lift lever. All of the schematics I've seen show a single rod and I can't see how or why it would have been designed as a two piece rod.
Can somebody confirm whether it's one or 2 piece and can anybody help in selling me one if it's one piece
-
Thanks Oddjob, I did find some history and am checking with Trigger to see if he has any left otherwise I'll get one machined.
-
Both of my 500 engines had the rod in two.(not broken) One had been very badly machined with a stub that fitted in a hole in the other part.
The other one had been done well, with a perfect part sphere machined into both parts (the LHS is short, only about 50mm) and a steel ball between the two. It has lasted for a number of years even though it is just in the ali. I check it every year and smear a little moly grease on it.
-
I made one some time ago
9.5 diameter and 25.7 long mm
Here's a link to how I done it its on the last page....and the reason why
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,118045.0.html
-
Both of my 500 engines had the rod in two.(not broken) One had been very badly machined with a stub that fitted in a hole in the other part.
The other one had been done well, with a perfect part sphere machined into both parts (the LHS is short, only about 50mm) and a steel ball between the two. It has lasted for a number of years even though it is just in the ali. I check it every year and smear a little moly grease on it.
The rod comes in one bit (in fact it is made up of three parts, unless it is out of a CB500K0) If the rod is in two, it has broke and it is a repair job ;)
-
Ok trig what's the difference between a k0 and the later ones?
And do you know why they changed them?
-
Ok trig what's the difference between a k0 and the later ones?
And do you know why they changed them?
Yes, I know why it was changed ;)
-
:o
-
That rod is on a lot of different Honda's*. Does it only break on the CB500? Why? And what is the diameter of the steel ball between the rod and the lifter? Is it 8mm or 10?
*For the history of that rod click select model in:
http://www.motogrid.com/oempartfinder.htm?aribrand=HOM&arian=MOTORCYCLE#/s/HOM//22850-292-020/1
and
http://www.motogrid.com/oempartfinder.htm?aribrand=HOM&arian=MOTORCYCLE#/s/HOM//22850-323-000/1
-
The ball is 8mm made from high grade steel. The rod breaks when the chain goes lose and hits the rod.
The rod is made up of three parts, the two ends are harden steel with a light alloy in the middle and pressed together.
Woodside, the 500K0 rod is one piece and that is why it has a different part number than the other 500's. Whoever was producing the rod for Honda came up with the idea to do a three part rod as the ends could be used of different lengths of rods, for other bikes ;)
-
The reason I asked is that steel ball 96211-10000 is described: #10 (5/16)
Rod 22850-323-000 is on models from Serial No. 1018728 on. 1018727 was the last one with the 22850-292-020 rod. Would be interesting to know if both types of rod were prone to break or just one of them.
-
The reason I asked is that steel ball 96211-10000 is described: #10 (5/16)
Rod 22850-323-000 is on models from Serial No. 1018728 on. 1018727 was the last one with the 22850-292-020 rod. Would be interesting to know if both types of rod were prone to break or just one of them.
Never believe everything you read, the best info is from experience and that is why this forum is the best info on the SOHC. With many members that have worked on these bikes in dealerships from the first service to total engine builds and full restorations.
-
I have some genuine NOS bearings if you need them. Very low cost
Bearings?
-
I have some genuine NOS bearings if you need them. Very low cost
Bearings?
Oddjob means ball bearings
-
I cleaned the pushrod up fr0m my 71 early 500K0 last night, after reading this post and it looks to be in perfect condition. Am I just lucky?