Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Honda Al on May 29, 2016, 05:14:05 PM

Title: Out of ideas and need help!
Post by: Honda Al on May 29, 2016, 05:14:05 PM
Hi all,

Today I thought I would replace a leaky cylinder head gasket. All going well, stripped down ok (apart from an odd curse word!) and I cleaned up the area and replaced the gasket. Replaced the everything in the reverse order, following the instructions, and when I went to re-adjust the valves the engine wouldn't turn over by the kick starter. Just stopped dead.

I removed the cylinder head cover and everything turns over again. What am I missing? Without the cover turns over, with and it stops dead.

Alan
Title: Re: Out of ideas and need help!
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on May 29, 2016, 05:38:59 PM
Might be a stupid question, but are all the tappets sitting aligned correctly on top of the valves?  If they're skewed, could jam it up?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Out of ideas and need help!
Post by: Johnwebley on May 29, 2016, 06:07:05 PM
check the cam timing,

 if you keep the rocker cover off,does it,and the cam turn over?


when you re-assemble the rocker cover,use 4 elastic bands to hold the rockers up,

try this
Title: Re: Out of ideas and need help!
Post by: Honda Al on May 29, 2016, 06:25:40 PM
check the cam timing,

 if you keep the rocker cover off,does it,and the cam turn over?


when you re-assemble the rocker cover,use 4 elastic bands to hold the rockers up,

try this

Cam turns over nicely with rocker cover off, but not when I put it on and screw it down. I thought I had the timing done, but it did throw me slightly because there were two markings on the cam lobe - pointy arrow/triangle and a square section.

Nice tip about the elastic bands, I'll try that.  :D
Title: Re: Out of ideas and need help!
Post by: Johnwebley on May 29, 2016, 07:11:00 PM
when cylinders 1-and 4 are at TDC,the slot in the end of the cam,should be at the 3pm position


parallel to the joint line,MOST important
Title: Re: Out of ideas and need help!
Post by: Honda Al on May 30, 2016, 10:55:27 AM
All fixed and running perfectly. Thanks guys.   :)

The odd thing was I had two markings at the end of the cam shaft - squared out notch and an arrow point notch pointing towards the edge.