Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Jontyp on June 02, 2016, 10:47:20 AM

Title: New discovery
Post by: Jontyp on June 02, 2016, 10:47:20 AM
Well, who knew that you had to drain the oil to change the front sprocket. How weird. Unless, of course, I'm being ridiculously stupid (it wouldn't be the first time). I don't need to change it by the way, I drained the oil in prep for getting engine out and took that side cover off just for giggles. Lo-and-behold, there's a load of gear change mechanism in a gasketed cavity outboard of the sprocket.

On a separate note, that motor is a bit of a lift for one person isn't it. It was like doing the "Atlas Stones" lift getting it onto my work bench  :P :o.
Title: Re: New discovery
Post by: JamesH on June 02, 2016, 11:01:20 AM
Share a photo. Something is not right there.....
Title: Re: New discovery
Post by: Jontyp on June 02, 2016, 11:19:18 AM
Trust me on this, I am undoubtedly being unbelievably thick. I'm generally pretty good as a mechanic but at a glance it looked like that cover had to come off to get access to the sprocket cover. I'm at work at the moment but, if I get a chance before I go on holiday tomorrow, I'll have another look. I'm prepared to be laughed at and generally made fun of if it turns out to be simpler than it appears.
Title: Re: New discovery
Post by: hairygit on June 02, 2016, 11:21:14 AM
Perfectly normal on the 750, you don't have to drain the oil to access/change the sprocket, the small cover over the sprocket will come out with a bit of wiggling without disturbing the cover under the gear lever.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

Title: Re: New discovery
Post by: Jontyp on June 02, 2016, 11:47:15 AM
There you are, you see. The voice of reason  ;) :) :D. I took the outer cover off because that was the source of one of the various oil weeps (gasket is fubar) and never bothered to see if the smaller sprocket cover would come off leaving the other one in place.

Cheers All.
Title: Re: New discovery
Post by: Bryanj on June 02, 2016, 04:43:45 PM
Honda service items are usually easy
Title: Re: New discovery
Post by: Green1 on June 04, 2016, 09:28:35 PM
The only bike I know of were you have to drain the oil to change the front sprocket is my dads 1200 Triumph trophy.
What a pain in the arse it is too.

Mick