Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Laverda Dave on June 07, 2016, 10:33:50 PM

Title: Black NGK plug caps
Post by: Laverda Dave on June 07, 2016, 10:33:50 PM
I'm having to replace the coils and plug caps on the 400/4 project as the old ones are past it being cracked and broken.

DSS has the correct? black plug caps for cylinders 2&3 but not 1&4.  The price seems a bit on the expensive side though and I can only get two but need all four so I'm looking at buying a full set of black NGK's from e-bay at a third of the price. 

Can anyone advise of the correct NGK plug cap ordering codes, there appears to be so many all with slightly different angles?Does anyone know if I can get the coils cheaper on e-bay, DSS are charging 29.95+vat+p&p per coil?

I'll post a few pics of the rebuild so far in the next few days, the engine is now complete and ready to fit into the frame and the marathon carb re-build is finally over but they are not yet tested for leaks although all the jets, needles, gaskets and o-rings have been changed throughout including the link tubes and I live in hope  :-\

Dave
Title: Re: Black NGK plug caps
Post by: gtmdriver on June 08, 2016, 09:20:22 AM
The NGK codes are shown on the DSS webpages for the relevant plug caps.

On the 350 four 1 and 4 caps are VD05F and 2 and 3 caps are XD05F. It seems to be the same for the 400. They are also showing as in stock.

Be careful with the coils supplied by DSS. The ones I received were only 2 ohm primary resistance instead of the OEM coils 4 ohms. You can get away with this if you have contact breakers although they will burn and pit quicker due to the higher current. I have Boyer electronic ignition which specifies a minimum of 4 ohm coil resistance so I ended up having to wire ballast resistors in series with each coil.
Title: Re: Black NGK plug caps
Post by: pelt on June 10, 2016, 05:19:25 PM

Be careful with the coils supplied by DSS. The ones I received were only 2 ohm primary resistance instead of the OEM coils 4 ohms.

I glad I just read this post, Thanks
Title: Re: Black NGK plug caps
Post by: Laverda Dave on June 14, 2016, 09:38:52 PM
Thanks for the advice, all now on order  :).  Obtaining the correct coils with a 4-ohm resistance is proving very, very difficult though!
Title: Re: Black NGK plug caps
Post by: gtmdriver on June 15, 2016, 07:38:12 PM
I know.

That's why I ended up using ballast resistors with the DSS coils.
Title: Re: Black NGK plug caps
Post by: petermigreen on June 15, 2016, 10:13:19 PM
I'm having to replace the coils and plug caps on the 400/4 project as the old ones are past it being cracked and broken.

DSS has the correct? black plug caps for cylinders 2&3 but not 1&4.  The price seems a bit on the expensive side though and I can only get two but need all four so I'm looking at buying a full set of black NGK's from e-bay at a third of the price. 

Can anyone advise of the correct NGK plug cap ordering codes, there appears to be so many all with slightly different angles?Does anyone know if I can get the coils cheaper on e-bay, DSS are charging 29.95+vat+p&p per coil?

I'll post a few pics of the rebuild so far in the next few days, the engine is now complete and ready to fit into the frame and the marathon carb re-build is finally over but they are not yet tested for leaks although all the jets, needles, gaskets and o-rings have been changed throughout including the link tubes and I live in hope  :-\

Dave

Have you seen these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160973248450?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT