Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: yozzer74 on June 09, 2016, 04:30:26 PM
-
Hi how do you get oil pressure before starting bike for first time after rebuild..
-
Just kick it over with the kill switch engaged until the oil light goes out.
Steve
-
I take plugs out to reduce loading on big ends and main bearings, make sure oil tank is filled to upper mark on dipstick, get some oil in through inlet valve tappet covers (doesn't really matter how much as long as it comes from the total fill quantity and any surplus drops to the sump to stop the scavenge side of the oil pump being dry) , then spin it over to get the light to go out.
Make sure you watch the dipstick level to avoid the tank level dropping too far as you're cranking it.
-
It took me forever to get the oil pressure up on mine I was convinced that the oil pump had a problem, I'd never had a problem before, just filled the tank up with oil, took the plugs out and turned it over until the oil light went out.
For my F1 rebuilt I was a bit more careful and I put one litre of oil in the tank and one litre into the rocker box, then watched inside the rocker cover to make sure that oil was getting to the cam, this happened after the oil light went out so beware.
Cheers
Dennis
-
When you did the rebuild, did you fill the oil pump with Vaseline? It is a bit like bleeding a rad at home, loads of air to get rid of first.
-
No I didn't fill it I was thinking it had air trapped .but it's pulled through now got pressure thanks everyone .
-
On my last 3 CB750 rebuilds I had to pressurise the oil tank using a modified tubeless tyre valve in breather pipe before I could get pressure before starting.
The last one I tried vaseline and primed all pumps submerged in oil !
It always feels better if you can see the light go out before actually starting :)
-
You need to submerge the oil pump in oil and turn it until resistance is felt and air bibles stop coming out. Fit pump fill oil tank and turn engine over with starter button, oil pressure light will go out in about 30 seconds
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk