Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on June 11, 2016, 11:13:44 PM

Title: Anyone win this "NOS" tank?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 11, 2016, 11:13:44 PM
Anyone get this?  Not a bad finish price considering the cost of repainting one !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB-500f-Petrol-Tank-1972-Boxed-And-Brand-New-Perfect-/201597425157?hash=item2ef0249605:g:WpUAAOSwOVpXUv1R
Title: Re: Anyone win this NOS tank?
Post by: Trigger on June 12, 2016, 06:47:19 AM
Looks a bit non NOS as the lines are wrong ;)
Title: Re: Anyone win this NOS tank?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 12, 2016, 03:38:41 PM
Looks a bit non NOS as the lines are wrong ;)

Must admit I wouldn't have thought it would have a white stripe at the bottom Graham. Bit naughty to sell that as NOS then. One for Menno I suspect
Title: Re: Anyone win this NOS tank?
Post by: Trigger on June 12, 2016, 03:49:01 PM
The top line is too wide and the box is CB450 ;)
Title: Re: Anyone win this NOS tank?
Post by: Green1 on June 12, 2016, 04:04:47 PM
Does it look like the inside of the tanks been lined to you?
Title: Re: Anyone win this NOS tank?
Post by: Honda Al on June 12, 2016, 04:27:09 PM
Does it look like the inside of the tanks been lined to you?

I noticed that. Looked quite new lining as well  :-\
Title: Re: Anyone win this NOS tank?
Post by: Bryanj on June 12, 2016, 05:28:30 PM
Never seen one with a lower stripe and it should not have a liner from the factory. Can't tell if the stripe is a decal or paint but they were always raised decals cleared over from Honda
Title: Re: Anyone win this NOS tank?
Post by: Trigger on June 12, 2016, 05:37:53 PM
He is also listing a rear guard for a 500four but, its a CB750  ;)
Title: Re: Anyone win this NOS tank?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on June 12, 2016, 10:05:30 PM
I have a NOS 400/4 tank in varnish blue which I bought from Bill Heads in Preston in the very early 90's and as you say, just the merest lick of paint underneath and bare clean metal inside. Also my 350/4 of the same year as this tank has a helmet caution sticker on the top - did the 500 also have one?
Ian
Title: Re: Anyone win this "NOS" tank?
Post by: Bryanj on June 13, 2016, 05:55:55 AM
Yes to the sticker but you have to fit it yourself on a new tank
Title: Re: Anyone win this "NOS" tank?
Post by: Menno on June 15, 2016, 10:00:38 PM
A NOS tank with new innercoating.
I've never seen this kind of lining before.

I think it is not a NOS tank.

Title: Re: Anyone win this "NOS" tank?
Post by: Charliecharlcomb on June 18, 2016, 05:24:58 PM
Just joined the group and seen this post. It was my tank that I sold and it went via the GSP to I think Dominican Republic. I assure you all it was brand new, it has been in my possession for about 25 years and most definitely wasn't resprayed or refurbished. I was surprised by the tank lining but wasn't complaining, it was as stated, in perfect condition. About 25 years ago I was incredibly lucky enough to buy a job lot of brand new bagged 500/4 parts that came from a garage clearance after a dealer went bust. I literally built an almost brand new bike, but already had a decent tank so kept this one as spare. It was the sort of thing you can only dream about.

And the rear mudguard was CB 500 too.

Btw what does "NOS" mean?
Title: Re: Anyone win this "NOS" tank?
Post by: Green1 on June 18, 2016, 05:38:11 PM
New Old Stock

Maybe the dealer had it resprayed and never used it.
Title: Re: Anyone win this "NOS" tank?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 18, 2016, 06:07:33 PM
Welcome aboard  :) .. I know there has been a lot of discussion about your tank on here but we are a friendly bunch really. To my mind this is the best forum for good old fashioned camaraderie . So keep posting !

Ash
Title: Re: Anyone win this "NOS" tank?
Post by: Green1 on June 18, 2016, 06:20:00 PM
Oh yeah forgot to say keep posting don't be put of by a few comments its how we learn new things  ;)
Title: Re: Anyone win this "NOS" tank?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 18, 2016, 06:41:47 PM
Imagine this guy must have been right peed off ...everyone nightmare with NOS tanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-cd175-sloper-petrol-tank-/182065928842?hash=item2a63f99a8a:g:hbQAAOSwLpdW9Umw

"Honda cd175 sloper tank Genuine Nos still in original box colour is the bluey/green  can't  be many about now. When taking picture I mans get to knock the tank and chip the top just under the filler cap study picture 2, original listing price changed.

Any questions please ask.
"
Title: Re: Anyone win this "NOS" tank?
Post by: Trigger on June 18, 2016, 08:26:31 PM
Just joined the group and seen this post. It was my tank that I sold and it went via the GSP to I think Dominican Republic. I assure you all it was brand new, it has been in my possession for about 25 years and most definitely wasn't resprayed or refurbished. I was surprised by the tank lining but wasn't complaining, it was as stated, in perfect condition. About 25 years ago I was incredibly lucky enough to buy a job lot of brand new bagged 500/4 parts that came from a garage clearance after a dealer went bust. I literally built an almost brand new bike, but already had a decent tank so kept this one as spare. It was the sort of thing you can only dream about.

And the rear mudguard was CB 500 too.

Btw what does "NOS" mean?

The UK 500 rear mudguard did not have the number 341 stamped on it, the 341 in that style mudguard relates to the UK CB750 K2.
I had a NOS 500 tank that I fitted to a UK,500 K0  that had no lining, was over sprayed on the underside.
Title: Re: Anyone win this "NOS" tank?
Post by: Trigger on June 20, 2016, 06:16:03 AM
Why are you sorry Oddjob, you are correct and I had forgot about the indicator wire tabs did not come on the rear guard .
If it was a NOS tank, I would of bought it  ;)
Title: Re: Anyone win this "NOS" tank?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 20, 2016, 07:25:07 AM
Why are you sorry Oddjob, you are correct and I had forgot about the indicator wire tabs did not come on the rear guard .
If it was a NOS tank, I would of bought it  ;)

Think Ken used  'sorry' cos 'Charlie' genuinely thought it was a NOS tank and had the decency to join us on here and defend his corner. Anyway, we gained a new member in the process and interesting story about clearing a dealers old stock...he was lucky that DS didn't beat him to it  :)