Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: boilermaker1 on June 19, 2016, 10:20:49 PM

Title: Hubs & fork legs
Post by: boilermaker1 on June 19, 2016, 10:20:49 PM
I am getting my wheels refurbished and  have some questions.
I am thinking of having hubs & lower fork legs polished.
Were hubs originally painted?  if painted best way of removing paint?
have heard of clear coat been used on polished parts
What type do I need, and what prep work is needed before painting?
Any help would be great
Thanks
Title: Re: Hubs & fork legs
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 20, 2016, 11:28:58 AM
All originally rough polished only in the visible areas, satinized then clear coated.

Remove original clear coat with Methylene chloride based paint stripper ...modern Nitromors stuff is sh*te . Be really quick doing it so that the chemicals in the stripper don't react with the bare alloy. If you get the right stuff it literally can be removed in 5 minutes.

Going to use Eastwood Diamond Clear lacquer on mine.

There is a VJMC article right at the end on my dropbox CB750 mega download on this forum on alloy fork leg refurb. Trust me it's a mucky horrible tw*t of a job and I allow at least 2 hours/fork slider to do it. Added a few twists myself to that VJMC write-up but not confident about telling the world about it yet.
Title: Re: Hubs & fork legs
Post by: Laverda Dave on June 20, 2016, 02:27:35 PM
Hi Ash,
Excuse my ignorance but how do I navigate to your VJMC  CB750 lower fork leg refurb article? I cannot seem to navigate to it via the site.
I'm just about to go into the man cave now with a huge mug of splosh and digestives to assemble the newly blasted lower fork legs.
Dave
Title: Re: Hubs & fork legs
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 20, 2016, 03:04:38 PM
Hi Ash,
Excuse my ignorance but how do I navigate to your VJMC  CB750 lower fork leg refurb article? I cannot seem to navigate to it via the site.
I'm just about to go into the man cave now with a huge mug of splosh and digestives to assemble the newly blasted lower fork legs.
Dave

PAGE 1097 ONWARDS


MEGA CB750K /F PARTS MANUALS SHOP MANUALS VJMC ARTICLES ETC ETC … WELL WORTH DOWNLOADING. MASSIVE DOWNLOAD THOUGH!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/anpzqn2r55f1o9k/CB750%20Mega%20Parts%20Service%20and%20More.pdf?dl=0
Title: Re: Hubs & fork legs
Post by: boilermaker1 on June 20, 2016, 06:30:23 PM
Hi Ash
Thanks for you advise
Just looking at Eastwood Diamond clear lacquer.
Which finish is more suitable? satin or gloss?
Title: Re: Hubs & fork legs
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 20, 2016, 08:37:35 PM
Hi Ash
Thanks for you advise
Just looking at Eastwood Diamond clear lacquer.
Which finish is more suitable? satin or gloss?

Thes tuff I got is gloss but I only received it today AND NOT USED IT YEY. If you notice in the VJMC article he used gloss version.
Title: Re: Hubs & fork legs
Post by: boilermaker1 on June 20, 2016, 09:56:52 PM
Will you be using Eastwood Pre-Paint Preparation, before clear coating?