Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: MarkCR750 on June 20, 2016, 01:50:36 PM

Title: New drive chain
Post by: MarkCR750 on June 20, 2016, 01:50:36 PM
I need a new chain for my CR, the one that's fitted came with the donor bike boxed, it's the heaviest chain I've ever seen on a bike!, you could launch a ship with it!, it was still in the grease paper and DID box but must have been 30 years old, it's very quickly lost its suppleness though, I think the O rings may have perished , can anyone recommend a reasonable quality chain?, the sprockets have only done 900+ miles, cheers Mark.
Title: Re: New drive chain
Post by: ginger_jim on June 21, 2016, 07:31:25 AM
Got a kit for mine on Ebay for 20 quid!   Check it out there are always bargains!

If not, Ive used the x-rings on other bikes with good success, but my daily commute is a R1100GT  (thats an R1100GS with RT wheels, motor, gearbox and final drive) so no chain....happy days!

(apologies for mentioning a bavarian tractor on this forum!)
Title: Re: New drive chain
Post by: Greebo on June 21, 2016, 08:45:26 AM
I need a new chain for my CR, the one that's fitted came with the donor bike boxed, it's the heaviest chain I've ever seen on a bike!, you could launch a ship with it!, it was still in the grease paper and DID box but must have been 30 years old, it's very quickly lost its suppleness though, I think the O rings may have perished , can anyone recommend a reasonable quality chain?, the sprockets have only done 900+ miles, cheers Mark.

Mark
the one on my bike is a new gold DID chain which was obviously fitted when the bike was built.

have a look here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750-DOHC-1980-DID-Gold-X-Ring-Chain-and-Sprocket-Kit-/262440903807

http://www.motorcycleproducts.co.uk/chain-honda-cb750-k6-1976-1977-ring-gold-fb-p-188332.html
Title: Re: New drive chain
Post by: MarkCR750 on June 21, 2016, 09:47:09 AM
Thanks Greebo, £86!, they'll no be having a sale will they? 😄 , I think I'll stay with a silver chain though just because it looks a bit more original on mine, I've been told racing lines in derby has chain they cut to length Ill see if they have the correct size, cheers.
Title: Re: New drive chain
Post by: Greebo on June 23, 2016, 01:50:49 PM
Thanks Greebo, £86!, they'll no be having a sale will they? 😄 , I think I'll stay with a silver chain though just because it looks a bit more original on mine, I've been told racing lines in derby has chain they cut to length Ill see if they have the correct size, cheers.

I cant remember what mine cost, but the one on ebay is for the Chain  & Sprockets so I guess that why its a bit minty.

I agree in a way with the silver chain, but go for a good strong & well made one...there is some crap around..
Title: Re: New drive chain
Post by: hairygit on June 23, 2016, 02:23:09 PM
Best bet is find an old style bike shop, and buy a good quality chain such as Renold, they have huge rolls of it and cut it to whatever length you want, it is priced by the link.
Title: Re: New drive chain
Post by: Trigger on June 23, 2016, 07:14:01 PM
Best bet is find an old style bike shop, and buy a good quality chain such as Renold, they have huge rolls of it and cut it to whatever length you want, it is priced by the link.

Very hard to find a old bike shop these days that sell chain off the roll, remember buying chain like that when I was in me teens.
Title: Re: New drive chain
Post by: hairygit on June 23, 2016, 07:17:28 PM
You live in the wrong part of the country then Trig, lots of old style shops down here in Devon, although none open Sundays, and close lunchtime Wed and Sats! And never expect to find them with a website either!
Title: Re: New drive chain
Post by: Trigger on June 23, 2016, 07:29:07 PM
You live in the wrong part of the country then Trig, lots of old style shops down here in Devon, although none open Sundays, and close lunchtime Wed and Sats! And never expect to find them with a website either!

A bit like my closing times ;D. Last old style shop I used was Stratford road garage but, old Pete pasted away some years ago.
Title: Re: New drive chain
Post by: MarkCR750 on June 23, 2016, 07:32:21 PM
You live in the wrong part of the country then Trig, lots of old style shops down here in Devon, although none open Sundays, and close lunchtime Wed and Sats! And never expect to find them with a website either!

A bit like my closing times ;D. Last old style shop I used was Stratford road garage but, old Pete pasted away some years ago.

Was he a decorator Trig?
Title: Re: New drive chain
Post by: Bryanj on June 24, 2016, 06:18:09 AM
Oh very droll, obviously you don't have the same dyslexic keyboard as me and Trigger
Title: Re: New drive chain
Post by: Trigger on June 24, 2016, 09:22:33 AM
Oh very droll, obviously you don't have the same dyslexic keyboard as me and Trigger

I also have a keyboard that number five and six work intermittently  ;D
Title: Re: New drive chain
Post by: MarkCR750 on June 24, 2016, 02:24:54 PM
Sorry couldn't resist 😄, my keyboard works fune thinks.