Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Honda Al on June 23, 2016, 08:53:11 PM

Title: Lost Air Screw Spring...
Post by: Honda Al on June 23, 2016, 08:53:11 PM
Hi all,

Just discovered that carb No.4 on my CB500 is missing the little brass spring for the air mixture screw. What effect, if any, would this have?

Thanks, Alan 
Title: Re: Lost Air Screw Spring...
Post by: hairygit on June 23, 2016, 09:03:43 PM
It puts tension on the screw to stop it moving with vibration  ;D
Title: Re: Lost Air Screw Spring...
Post by: Trigger on June 23, 2016, 09:03:53 PM
The spring acts like a lock and stops the air screw turning on its own.
Title: Lost Air Screw Spring...
Post by: Honda Al on June 23, 2016, 09:48:31 PM
So wouldn't affect the mixture because it can screw in further due to the missing screw?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Lost Air Screw Spring...
Post by: Bryanj on June 24, 2016, 06:14:02 AM
Will adjust mixture as the screw can move on its owm
Title: Re: Lost Air Screw Spring...
Post by: paulbaker1954 on June 27, 2016, 03:38:34 PM
I used a sring from a Biro as a temp solution seemed to be OK.

DS sell replacements for not much I think
Title: Re: Lost Air Screw Spring...
Post by: Nurse Julie on June 27, 2016, 05:58:16 PM
I used a sring from a Biro as a temp solution seemed to be OK.

DS sell replacements for not much I think
I think us Honda owners must be very resourceful or bloody tight. I used the spring from a Bic biro to mend the internals on the horn switch on my 400/4. It was only meant to be a temporary fix but, still working fine to this day.
Title: Re: Lost Air Screw Spring...
Post by: Honda Al on June 27, 2016, 07:07:43 PM
I used a sring from a Biro as a temp solution seemed to be OK.

DS sell replacements for not much I think
I think us Honda owners must be very resourceful or bloody tight. I used the spring from a Bic biro to mend the internals on the horn switch on my 400/4. It was only meant to be a temporary fix but, still working fine to this day.

Ha ha. I like to think resourceful! Since this post I have used a spring from a biro.
Title: Re: Lost Air Screw Spring...
Post by: matthewmosse on June 27, 2016, 08:07:07 PM
I am a Honda owner because I am damn tight  ;D . Lets face it, Hondas last extremely well, with just basic maintenence. My switchgear on the rebel was fixed using springs from a dead car stereo cassette player.