Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: onethumb on June 24, 2016, 01:57:17 PM
-
Hi all, I've been and done that thing when you're doing a complete strip down and rebuild then you get stuck on a part walk away to think about and don't go back till someone asks"how's the build going?"
Well I'm back still got the same problem but now I'm going to ask you all for some help.
I want to ditch the massive rear set brackets in place of an aftermarket one but by doing this the long engine bolts that go through the frame are way too long and as there're shouldered bolts I was wondering if the bolts from a k4 or other would fit and solve this first problem.
Also due to costs and time I was thinking of giving it a rat look! Thoughts and ideas gladly accepted.
Thanks all. (http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160624/097cf9e0a4343158296757138c5c63ea.jpg)
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-
Hi,
How about asking a friendly chap (or chapess) with a lathe and the expertise to shorten and re-thread the originals? Not familiar with the 750's but presumably you need to shorten them by 2 thicknesses of bracket.
Have you got a 'Men's Shed' in your area? They might have the necessary skills and equipment ( Google 'men's shed') I only know about this rapidly expanding network because I'm involved with setting one up in Orkney.
Ian
-
Cheers I'll have a look.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-
I had mine chopped and threads put back on .
-
Hi yozzer, that might be the way I have to go. I know the k4 bolts aren't as long so thought I might be able to go that way.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-
The K7 is paired with the F2 so may offer best options if any differences are there.
CR750 maybe able to shed some more light on that route.
-
Thats the information I was looking for.
That's well worth knowing. I'll start the search. Thanks.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-
I bought a stainless bolt set on ebay, the only one that was too long was the one that goes through the foot pegs (because there are no foot pegs in that position now), I used a spacer to take up the slack on that one but will get it cut down and thread recut at some point, I can only see this one for the 550 at the moment but you could email them to ask.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-STAINLESS-STEEL-HONDA-CB550-FOUR-SOHC-ENGINE-MOUNTS-BOLT-KIT-/361582221866?hash=item542ffada2a:g:288AAOSwiYFXD1si
-
Hi markCR750, thank you. I've sent an email so hopefully I'll get a bit more info.
Thanks again.
Steve.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-
This is mine after .I had both ends cut off and threaded then two titanium flanges nuts on each end .and 2 stainless steel caps turned up on ends .[attachimg=1]
-
This is mine after .I had both ends cut off and threaded then two titanium flanges nuts on each end .and 2 stainless steel caps turned up on ends . (Attachment Link)
Neat looking job there Yozzer, very nice.
-
That looks really nicely engineered yozzer, those special parts make the finished bike look so good.
-
That is top level. Going for a brat scrambler look so that finish would be wasted on me and mine.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-
Yozzer just being cheeky but you wouldn't happen to have the templates for those beauties or the dimensions. I spoke to one off welding and he said that he hasn't got them?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-
Do you mean the temples for the hangers .if so I do have them .
-
That's the ones.
I'm thinking of maybe using the original hangers again and powder coating them to cut down on the costs. And spend the money on the frame and seat unit. Any ideas?