Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: PHILIP2908 on June 30, 2016, 09:21:17 PM

Title: Tyres & Wheels
Post by: PHILIP2908 on June 30, 2016, 09:21:17 PM
Hi,
Me again.
Just wondered what you fellas did for tyres. Want something decent that looks period. Do you use DS, ebay or is there somewhere else?
Incidentally, they will have to go on a set of Lesters. Wasn't keen on these to start with but they are a period accessory and may well keep them in view of the fact that spoked wheels are fairly rare; can't seem to find any. Can get the rims and spokes but not hubs which are currently buried in some landfill in Colorado USA.
Comments welcome.
Cheers all.
Phil d'A
Title: Re: Tyres & Wheels
Post by: Bryanj on July 01, 2016, 06:42:05 AM
Metzeler for decent grip and wear plus period look, haven't got the patterns to hand but if you use the search this question has been asked multiple times
Title: Re: Tyres & Wheels
Post by: flatfour on July 01, 2016, 08:10:16 AM
I always use TT100's on the old bikes, as I did in the 70's. The 750 still has Metzeler on from when I bought it though and these seem fine too.
Title: Re: Tyres & Wheels
Post by: MarkCR750 on July 01, 2016, 02:08:52 PM
The new TT100's have a soft compound so good road holding too .
Title: Re: Tyres & Wheels
Post by: PHILIP2908 on July 13, 2016, 09:35:46 PM
Hi All
My DK special had Lesters on when I bought it thinking I could find a set of spoked wheels - not easy unless you want to pay daft money (and even dafter postage) to some kid in the US.
If you are building a special or a café racer and want to do a straight swop I'd be happy. These Lesters go on ebay for about £100 a pop. Although they are a period accessory I would still like a set of spoked wheels if in decent condition.
I'd want to keep the disc, speedo drive and rear sprocket off them but they are in good condition, however the tyres are cracked and wouldn't trust them over about 5mph (tubeless).
Pics should be attached.
Any offers?
Thanks.
Title: Re: Tyres & Wheels
Post by: PHILIP2908 on July 31, 2016, 09:59:01 AM
Hello again Chums,
Still need to know where you get your tyres.
I've done a search through the forum; plenty of info about what sort of tyre but can't find much on Where you get them without being stitched up.
Where is best - ebay, ATS, Black Circles.com, your local bike shop? I was tempted to get some from DS but they don't have any at the mo'
As always, any help appreciated.
Best regards
Phil
Title: Re: Tyres & Wheels
Post by: Chris400F on July 31, 2016, 10:32:49 AM
Personally I decided what tyres I wanted (I went for Avon RoadRiders) then shopped around with the help of Mr Google to find the best prices.
Deciding on what you want is the first issue, then see what you can find that fits the bill.
Title: Re: Tyres & Wheels
Post by: Coppertop1234 on July 31, 2016, 12:51:34 PM
I also decided on Avon Road Riders from local motorcycle shop - unsure of prices but think it was £90 for front and £110 for back - not certain on price but tyres are spot on
Title: Re: Tyres & Wheels
Post by: royhall on July 31, 2016, 01:05:33 PM
I also decided on Avon Road Riders from local motorcycle shop - unsure of prices but think it was £90 for front and £110 for back - not certain on price but tyres are spot on
I agree, got the Avon's on all three Honda's now. Great tyres.
Title: Re: Tyres & Wheels
Post by: Johnwebley on July 31, 2016, 07:01:41 PM
I also decided on Avon Road Riders from local motorcycle shop - unsure of prices but think it was £90 for front and £110 for back - not certain on price but tyres are spot on

 I agree,my CB500 loves Avons.

 last year I got front and back fitted to loose wheels for £170,