Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: RGP750 on July 06, 2016, 09:05:06 AM

Title: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: RGP750 on July 06, 2016, 09:05:06 AM
Hi All
Took the bike out last night for a 30 mile run, it hasn't been out since last year.
I had to run with varying amount of choke for first couple of miles and below 3000 rpm very "wooly"
not complete misfire but definitely not right.
When I hit 3000 rpm ish it kicks you in the back so my guess for what it's worth
is carbs.
Idle jets gummed up over winter??? when it gets to main jet ok???
If that's what it is best way to clear it without taking the carbs off.
Any ideas welcome please.
Cheers Rich
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: Greebo on July 06, 2016, 10:01:41 AM
Sounds like the carbs need a good squirt of carb cleaner, hopefully that will do the trick
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: totty on July 06, 2016, 12:34:41 PM
Drain the float bows, fill with redex via the fuel line, leave a few days turning over occasionally to draw a little through the jets.
I find it's worth a try before resorting to removing and stripping them, it tends to work if it hasn't been stood long, I've also stored bikes with carbs full of redex.
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: MarkCR750 on July 06, 2016, 07:58:53 PM
You could also try removing the air box a and squirting carb cleaner down the small brass balance pipes, may not work but it's quick so worth a try.
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: royhall on July 06, 2016, 08:51:04 PM
Great idea with the Redex, will try that at some point. Got lucky with one of mine that had the same symptoms as yours, just kept running it. As long as petrol is getting through the idle jets in some amount it usually (but not always) clears with use. Like the idea of the Redex for winter storage though, does it really work.
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: RGP750 on July 06, 2016, 09:54:03 PM
Thanks for your help guys.
Redex for me as well in the Winter, great idea.
I took the carbs off tonight and blasted all of the relevant holes with carb cleaner  with jets removed and back together again so will go for a blast after work tomorrow.
Cheers Rich
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: totty on July 06, 2016, 09:56:49 PM
Whenever I've stored a bike with redex in the carbs it's always ran fine after, but of course they might have been fine just draining them so I'll never know if it worked.
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: Trigger on July 06, 2016, 10:21:11 PM
Thanks for your help guys.
Redex for me as well in the Winter, great idea.
I took the carbs off tonight and blasted all of the relevant holes with carb cleaner  with jets removed and back together again so will go for a blast after work tomorrow.
Cheers Rich

I hope you blew everything out with a airline. Did it start OK ? And do you only have a daytime MOT on the K2 ;D ;D
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: RGP750 on July 07, 2016, 06:55:00 AM
Yes Trigg ,All clear, yes only have daytime MOT headlight crap ;D ;D (except for Tuesday when i came home late). ::)
I'll report tonight on outcome.
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: Trigger on July 07, 2016, 07:16:17 AM
Yes Trigg ,All clear, yes only have daytime MOT headlight crap ;D ;D (except for Tuesday when i came home late). ::)
I'll report tonight on outcome.

Home late on a Tuesday night ! It is all down hill from now on ;D ;D
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: RGP750 on July 07, 2016, 10:04:02 AM
need to be in bed by 9-00
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: Bryanj on July 08, 2016, 06:11:25 AM
Now I need to be in bed by 9AM
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: RGP750 on July 08, 2016, 06:41:42 AM
Worth taking the carbs and doing it properly,
running better than it did before.
So redex next winter storage.
Cheers all
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: RGP750 on July 08, 2016, 08:10:39 AM
Ok Guys
Forget the above.
Took it to work this morning , still the same below 3000 rpm.
Like fuel starvation ,put on choke and it picks up.
hit 3000 I assume it's coming on to main jet.
Should I be looking somewhere else????
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: UK Pete on July 08, 2016, 01:52:16 PM
Have you sprayed easy start round the carb rubbers while its runnung to see if your sucking in excess air rich?
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: RGP750 on July 08, 2016, 02:13:50 PM
Not tried that Pete
Tonight's job when I get back from the ride.
Shame I haven't got any here at work before I go.
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: Johnwebley on July 08, 2016, 02:29:53 PM
have you put any Redex,or injector cleaner ,or similar in the tank?

 hope it cleans as you  ride
Title: Re: Poor running below 300 rpm
Post by: RGP750 on July 08, 2016, 02:44:22 PM
I took the carbs off and blasted everything through with cleaner after removing jets.
Thought I had sorted it