Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: haynes66 on July 11, 2016, 09:06:04 PM

Title: twin 40's on a 750
Post by: haynes66 on July 11, 2016, 09:06:04 PM
having been a big rally fan in the 70's i was intrigued to see a pic of a 750 fitted with a pair of weber DCOE 40 carbs which i assumed were only fitted to cars. anyone ever fitted some to theirs? according to google it seems to have been a common mod on 750 drag bikes. looks interesting though.
Title: Re: twin 40's on a 750
Post by: wolfheze on July 11, 2016, 09:40:43 PM
Had  twin 40s on my Talbot Sunbeam Ti but never heard of them on a bike. Imagine it wouldn't be great around town  ???
Title: Re: twin 40's on a 750
Post by: K2-K6 on July 11, 2016, 09:54:38 PM
I've seen them in the past more in American bike mags of that era, they do look quite good.

As far as I can remember they had a bespoke cast alloy manifold to mount them to but other than that it must just be setup as I know you can change the venturi size for your specific application. They are also normally mounted with a o-ring type seal and clamped with a thackery?  type washer to avoid transmitting engine vibrations to the carbs as I understand it.

Haynes, you live in the right area to see rally stages I guess, I've spent many an hour years ago watching rally cars in Welsh forests.

Wolfeze, those talbots were quite a quick car and handled well too, I navigated on a couple of tarmac rally events in one some time ago.
Title: Re: twin 40's on a 750
Post by: wolfheze on July 12, 2016, 07:28:13 AM
Sunbeam was a great car.Appalling build quality and tinworm but still a great car. Aspired to a sunbeam lotus but they were far too expensive for a 23 year old.
Title: Re: twin 40's on a 750
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on July 12, 2016, 07:32:04 AM
Just googled this out of interest and fair bit on sister US SOHC site.
Title: Re: twin 40's on a 750
Post by: jimv50 on July 12, 2016, 12:45:54 PM
My brother had two twin choke Dell Orto's fitted on a KB3 years ago, needless to say it was very fast and very thirsty, a great bike in it's time
Title: Re: twin 40's on a 750
Post by: Johnwebley on July 12, 2016, 01:42:27 PM
have a look at this

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/project-builds/24873-rebuild-rc-engineering-weber-set-up-cb750-honda.html
Title: Re: twin 40's on a 750
Post by: haynes66 on July 12, 2016, 04:38:08 PM
good article john, thanks.