Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Ashdowner on July 23, 2016, 05:01:52 PM
-
Has anyone upgraded any of the lighting to LED? With electronic ignition I am drawing too many amps with the H4 halogen headlight on and see LED's as an energy-saving option but also improve the lighting. If so what have you done and what kit did you use? I've looked on the many websites but find some confusing info and find it hard to identify what bulb to use.
-
I used this kit that I got from eBay, and I'm happy with it. I did, however, replace the standard headlight bucket with a Lucas one at the same time, so not sure if the fan would fit in the standard setup. I could check if you're interested.(http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160723/8d6933554ddc27b9724e9d7391a35941.jpg)(http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160723/c834bed20ad760f5bcc5b3c32e0d2a09.jpg)(http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160723/4864dba94ea11812aeb0de73bdcea801.jpg)
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
-
Hi Mr. T. I'd be grateful if you could check the space please and send me the link to the e-bay page so I could look at the cost.
-
With electronic ignition I am drawing too many amps with the H4 halogen headlight
Did you measure how many amps?
but also improve the lighting.
I have not seen convincing results yet, on the contrary.
Why not simply choose the Philips H4 Ecovision. Gives you better vision than standard H4, lives longer and draws 20% less.
-
Hi Mr. T. I'd be grateful if you could check the space please and send me the link to the e-bay page so I could look at the cost.
I'm currently away from the bike until Friday but will have a look when I can.
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
-
With electronic ignition I am drawing too many amps with the H4 halogen headlight
Did you measure how many amps?
but also improve the lighting.
I have not seen convincing results yet, on the contrary.
Why not simply choose the Philips H4 Ecovision. Gives you better vision than standard H4, lives longer and draws 20% less.
+ 1 for the Phillips Ecovision from me.
If you decide that it is compatible with your setup go for the Ecovision 'Energy Saver' instead of the standard Ecovision
This is what I bought on eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351595613785
Best regards Rob
-
Interestingly I just changed my stop/tail bulb for an led and first time out with the headlight on I got back and the battery was fully charged.
-
Interestingly I just changed my stop/tail bulb for an led and first time out with the headlight on I got back and the battery was fully charged.
Interesting, but I don't believe your suggestion the Led did that. But if you want to invest in gadgets rather than in a good beam pattern at night...
-
I went from 6v to 12v on my CD175 and put all LED bulbs in at the same time. I was having charging problems and couldn't run with the headlight on for longer than 30mins before it effected the bike's running. With LED it has made a huge difference, can run with the lights on indefinitely now.
The LED headlight is much more powerful, the claim is 2100 lumens and down from a 40w draw to 17w.
Don't have a pic, but the fan is on the back of the bulb unit and it only makes it 15-20mm longer, wasn't a problem to fit in the same space in the headlight bucket.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Can't find any review or product info that says the Philips Ecovision draws 20% less power. Even Philips doesn't make that claim - they say it just lasts 4x longer
-
Can't find any review or product info that says the Philips Ecovision draws 20% less power. Even Philips doesn't make that claim - they say it just lasts 4x longer
HI,
You need a Phillips EcoVision Energy Saver; this is the one that the manufacturer claims 'up to 20% energy saving' here is a link to the internet site that carries the information you have been looking for:
http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/12342ECO/ecovision-h4-12-v-60-55-w
I bought mine from Ebay and so far am happy with it, and I ride lights on almost all the time.
Try this link to Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351595613785
Best regards Rob
-
And that ebay link is for a pair of bulbs
-
I have never understood the claims for these bulbs and still don't.
Philips say the lamps consume upto 20% less energy.
Energy is calculated as Power (in Watts) x Time. (I confess, I had to look this up, 'O' and 'A' level Physics was many years ago!).
So the power rating must therefore be 20% less i.e. 48W instead of 60W.
So for max energy saving of 20% the bulbs must actually be 48/44W and not 60/55W they are sold as.
Unless of course Philips have found a way to defy the laws of physics.
I guess if they give a good light, draw a lower current and last longer that is probably all you need.
That looks like a good price Rob has given the link to, and as Mike says it is for two bulbs.
Thing is, if they last twice as long as standard bulbs I will probably have lost the one I don't immediately need before I have to fit it!
-
Not necessarily, the energy consumption maybe 60W (P = V x I, nothing to do with time) but the output is light energy. Perhaps you get 20% light energy for your 60W.
-
Could be, but the wording from the Philips web site at the link given by Rob says:
"Up to 20% energy saving
EcoVision lamps consume less energy than standard lamps"
As far as the calculation goes, agree P = V x I. In terms of electrical energy E = P x t which is why your energy bills use KWh, and electrical energy seems to be what Philips refer to.
But I'm losing the will to live over this one. If you want to buy the bulbs they seem to come well recommended; if you want to try the LED option do that.
-
Well now, I think that all this book learning has brought more heat than light to this subject.
...............................Oh! wait a cotton picking minute, that could be the answer: perhaps they have figured out a way to make them burn less hot, and so more of the energy that they use is turned into light than regular halogen bulbs, this could explain why they last a little longer too.
Just a thought 8)
R
-
Correct, that's why halogen domestic bulbs are 42W instead of 60W, and LED downlights are 5W instead of 50W.
-
Final update. I've now replaced the filament bulbs with LEDs for stop/tail, and indicators. Total cost including LED flasher unit was £20 (I think I was overcharged for the stop/tail). Already the battery draining problems I had in traffic have disappeared but I've also ordered a Philips Energy Saver H4 headlamp bulb for £3. Next question is can I replace the small bulb in the headshell with an LED that would be bright enough to use on it's own during the daytime as I want to put a 12v USB socket on for other things that might draw the spare power that I've now gained e.g. satnav etc.
-
You talking about the indicator idiot light?
You can, but you will need to use 2 diodes and Earth the LED in your system.
(http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160818/5f3e41b028a620239bf0ca3b7270b4a2.jpg)
-
The diodes are backwards, and you need a resistor to limit the current going through the LED
-
If you mean the sidelight bulb in the headlamp you can put an LED in there but neither it nor the original is bright enough for daylight running
-
Yeah Bryan that's the one I meant. I was thinking that as many cars have LED's for daylight running it might be possible to do the same for a bike.
-
As I said I don't think the one bulb would be enough, if you fitted a strip of leds facing forwards maybe. That one bulb is designed as a parking light not a running light
-
Have a look on here:
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/GoffyDaytimeLights.htm
I think it's one of the T10 10MM Capless bulbs I have fitted (can't check as I am not home at the moment).
They are pretty bright. I also have one of his stop/tail bulbs fitted (LEDACE 25RST)
-
Thanks. For the princely sum of £4 I'm going to give that a try.
-
Make sure you get the right fitting bulb.
My capless one is in a Cibie unit, suspect the standard fitting is probably a bayonet (also available, probably the BA15).