Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: sam_vfr on July 25, 2016, 11:24:43 AM

Title: Cam end cover leak!!!
Post by: sam_vfr on July 25, 2016, 11:24:43 AM
Hi All.  Don't know if anyone has any tips on this as its driving me mad!

I have a leak from both sides of the cam cover plates.  I've tried replacing the  O rings and even a little silicon, but nothing seems to be stopping it.

Any other ideas/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sam
Title: Re: Cam end cover leak!!!
Post by: Bryanj on July 25, 2016, 05:52:51 PM
There needs to be a soft alloy sealing washer between the steel bracket that the end cap screws onto and the top cover as the oil can come out of the bolt hole
Title: Re: Cam end cover leak!!!
Post by: mike the bike on July 25, 2016, 06:02:22 PM
Try some PTFE tape
Title: Re: Cam end cover leak!!!
Post by: Bryanj on July 26, 2016, 07:15:23 AM
PTFE  NEVER
Title: Re: Cam end cover leak!!!
Post by: mike the bike on July 26, 2016, 07:32:16 AM
What's wrong with it?  I use it all the time at work.
Title: Re: Cam end cover leak!!!
Post by: gtmdriver on July 26, 2016, 08:37:14 AM
When I bought my CB350F I thought that there was a leak from the cam cover joint but it turned out to be coming from one of the chrome bolts on the end of the rocker shaft. The alloy crush washers can be replaced by Dowty washers which have an integral O ring seal and do a much better job.
Title: Re: Cam end cover leak!!!
Post by: Bryanj on July 26, 2016, 09:12:04 AM
ptfe is fine for gas and water but not on a honda
Title: Re: Cam end cover leak!!!
Post by: K2-K6 on July 26, 2016, 09:54:49 AM
You could also check the crankcase breathers to make sure you aren't trying to contain any pressure build up.
Title: Re: Cam end cover leak!!!
Post by: mickwinf on July 26, 2016, 04:05:23 PM
I reckon oddjob is correct, I had a similar leak on my 500, if you take the endcaps off you will see the little L shaped bracket that is held on to the head by a single 10mm bolt, with 2 washers, one below and one above the bracket. as Ken says it should be a soft alloy washer, I found a copper one did the same job and cured my leak.
Title: Re: Cam end cover leak!!!
Post by: Bryanj on July 27, 2016, 06:23:29 AM
I don't mind you taking the credit mate
Title: Re: Cam end cover leak!!!
Post by: mickwinf on July 27, 2016, 08:45:00 AM
ha sorry Bryan, other experts are available!