Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: H2 frankie on July 25, 2016, 10:54:41 PM

Title: Hi
Post by: H2 frankie on July 25, 2016, 10:54:41 PM
Hi everyone
I have just joined the forum, I live in derby.
I am nudging 60 years of age and when I was old enough to ride a bike (early 70's) it was probably the most exciting time for bikes, we had a most fantastic array of superbikes, all the factories trying to out do one another, they really were the, golden years, z1's H2's, Laverda triples, Le Mans Guzzis, big Bmw flat twins, Gt750's, oh and the Cb750!  (Better mention that bike!) just to name a few! Every bike instantly recognisable, without having to read the name on the tank!  What a fantastic period in our lives!
I only own bikes of that era, I have little interest in the modern faceless projectiles which grace our bike showrooms. When I am riding or working on my bikes, I am 18 again!
I have a nice gold K2 (US import) and a UK K2 which runs, but needs a little sorting, the 4into 1 needs to come off for a start!
I also regularly ride my Cbx1000.
I am also big into the 70's Kawasakis, Z1's and H2's
Her indoors thinks I have lost the plot!
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: Johnwebley on July 25, 2016, 11:05:25 PM
welcome,you will lots of kindred spirits here,


 post (lots of ) pictures,we love bike pictures,and enjoy

 this is the best bike forum bar none,

 help,advice friendlyness and humour
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: Green1 on July 25, 2016, 11:08:30 PM
Welcome
I wish I was around in the 70's really feel like I'v missed out

Pictures are mandatory on here.  ;)

Mick
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: philward on July 25, 2016, 11:16:45 PM
Welcome H2 Franky - spot on about 70s bikes - many happy memories (I'm 61 and started 1971)
Enjoy this great forum
Phil
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: H2 frankie on July 25, 2016, 11:20:08 PM
Welcome
I wish I was around in the 70's really feel like I'v missed out

Pictures are mandatory on here.  ;)

Mick
Hi Mick,  on the other hand I wish I was only 31 like you!!
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: Green1 on July 25, 2016, 11:25:35 PM
Your not missing much its not as good as you remember ;)
My dad turned 60 2 weeks ago and is loving it he goes around everywere telling everyone expecting an OAP discount nomatter were he is. ;D
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: Aly-b on July 25, 2016, 11:56:54 PM
Welcome.
Yes, there was a lot of lovely bikes in the 70's.
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: H2 frankie on July 26, 2016, 12:09:31 AM
My 72 K2
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: Trigger on July 26, 2016, 06:25:17 AM
Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC, the K2 is my favourite of the 750's.  Any pictures of the UK Unit.
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: royhall on July 26, 2016, 09:59:42 AM
Welcome to the forum Frankie. Your in good company, we've all lost the plot around here.
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on July 26, 2016, 10:00:33 AM
Welcome. Just up the road from you in Alfreton area. Too right about modern bikes, they just don't do it for me (most). Just too sanitised, although brilliant at what they do I'm sure!

Tim
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: AshimotoK0 on July 26, 2016, 03:20:38 PM
Welcome  good company on here..... bet the H2 is a scary beast to ride ! My mate is just building up a H1 to sprint.. never realized that the mudguards etc are all stainless steel until I saw his ...is it the same on the H2 ?  Love the 'singing inverter' on the Cdi system  .. I ripped off the design in the 70's to adapt for my 400/4's
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: H2 frankie on July 26, 2016, 06:34:21 PM
I thought my H2 mudguards were chrome, I will have a closer look!
(Other than the 72 H2 which is painted)
They are not too scary to ride, I think modern tyres and shocks make a big difference!
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: AshimotoK0 on July 26, 2016, 09:30:20 PM
I thought my H2 mudguards were chrome, I will have a closer look!
(Other than the 72 H2 which is painted)
They are not too scary to ride, I think modern tyres and shocks make a big difference!

Maybe it was just the 500H1 (his tank is blue like your H2). I saw one at a Beverley classic show a few weeks back and that had stainless guards too. Seem to remember the Norton Commando Interstate having them too.
Title: Re: Hi
Post by: royhall on July 26, 2016, 10:26:29 PM
I used to own an H1A 500 and that definitely didn't have stainless mudguards. When I got the bike the front guard was very rusty. SCW81K are you still out there?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Hi
Post by: mike the bike on July 26, 2016, 10:52:13 PM
Welcome to the forum.   I'm in full agreement about 70s and 80s bikes being distinctive.   Modern plastic bullets all look alike to me.   They might go and stop better than the old uns but where's the character?