Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on August 02, 2016, 08:24:15 AM

Title: Not one for the 'purists' ....carb clean.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 02, 2016, 08:24:15 AM
In another post I described the horrors inside of my CB400/4 carbs, after standing with petrol in (convinced I had drained them  :-[), since probably before JamesH was born ( well 1986)

Anyway after pressing out the stubborn float pins (see tool picture below) etc and even bunging in  a big ultrasonic cleaner @ 70°C with the correct fluid in all afternoon, they still looked grotty inside. So I totally sealed everything ( wrapped the outside with industrial cling film and 'self amalgamating' tape, sealed the main-jet pillar  and float valve with adhesive lined heatshrink, bunged tapered copper rivets into the rear casting holes etc and bead blasted them with 0/50 glass beads on a really low pressure, then blasted with compressed air and now back in the ultrasonic again for a thorough clean elsewhere. I am convinced this will be OK but not one for the purists.

I was lucky as the main jet pillar was not badly corroded and 'moth-eaten'. I reckon, along with broken float posts that this is the death sentence of many Honda carbs, particularly with water ingress too (like a lot of import bikes suffer from).

[attachimg=1]



[attachimg=2]
Title: Re: Not one for the 'purists' ....carb clean.
Post by: Nurse Julie on August 02, 2016, 08:39:14 AM
That's looking really clean Ash. I did mine yesterday, from my CB550. They were painted black and not looking good at all. I soaked them in diesel for a day, put them in the soda blaster, washed them off with fairy, a quick blow with the airline and they came out like this. I'm really pleased with them.
Title: Re: Not one for the 'purists' ....carb clean.
Post by: JamesH on August 02, 2016, 10:51:34 AM
Nothing wrong with this approach in my opinion. Critical part is making sure the internal fuel / aire ways are properly sealed like Ash has done.

Then another good ultrasonic clean in a hot bath and you're sorted.

Nice work both of you..

James.
Title: Re: Not one for the 'purists' ....carb clean.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 02, 2016, 11:23:48 AM
Great work Julie... wish my 'girls' were as practical as you !
Title: Re: Not one for the 'purists' ....carb clean.
Post by: Nurse Julie on August 02, 2016, 01:29:14 PM
Ha. The practical aspect of it was that I was cooking a roast dinner at the same time  ;D ;D ;D