Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: paulbaker1954 on August 02, 2016, 03:28:59 PM
-
Just changed my Trophy SE (1200 139Bhp big tourer) for a MT09 Tracer Yamaha.
Just been quoted £290 by Peter James!!!!! this is crazy compared to what I have seen other members paying (I am 62 with 8 years NCB and no conviction or bumps)
I also got a quote just for the Yam for £111 from Bennetts which was more reasonable but then they asked if my Garage had windows- when I said yes they said they couldn't insure me.
Huhhhh maybe now I cant get house insurance cos my house has windows!!!
Even though the windows are UPVC locked double glazed units in the garage still no deal. Apparently my garage is now not a garage (try that one on my wife !!)
Anyone got any good recommendations for modern and classic multi bike insurers
-
That's bloody weird to say the least. We insured one of our bikes with Bennetts only 48 hours ago and there was no issue with the garage, in fact, they didn't even ask the question about windows !!. Like you say, does this now mean our homes are not insured if they have windows in them ?. Maybe we are going back to the olden days, they called it 'window tax' back then !!!
-
That's bloody weird to say the least. We insured one of our bikes with Bennetts only 48 hours ago and there was no issue with the garage, in fact, they didn't even ask the question about windows !!. Like you say, does this now mean our homes are not insured if they have windows in them ?. Maybe we are going back to the olden days, they called it 'window tax' back then !!!
EDIT. Just thinking though, Bennett's are just a broker, so I suppose it depends on who the policy is underwritten by. Our Bennetts policy is underwritten by Zenith Insurance PLC.
-
I've used Footman James (VJMC multi bike policy) for many years now. They will accept modern bikes and classics on the same policy, providing that the number of modern bikes does not exceed the number of classics.
My bike garage is of proprietary manufacture, but made of cedar wood. It has windows, is sold as a garage and has been accepted in writing by them without problems. Before I moved five years ago, I had a brick - built garage and two wooden sheds for bike storage and these were also accepted without difficulty.
My Post Code has always been rural (Norfolk). I don't know whether that could make a difference?
-
That is the crazy world of insurance. I use Lynbrooks as they seem to take the time to shopmaround the underwriters for you and are cheap as well, but on my policy I am limmited to bikes over 15 years old I think. Still pretty cheap cover though, given I have 3 riders and 5 bikes on there.
-
I keep my bikes in a workshop that is part of the house. As far as the insurance company is concerned, Carol Nash, that is as good as a garage. (There are windows)
-
Sorted now with Hastings £203 for the Tracer and the Honda which I didn't think was too bad
No doubt I will end up shopping around again next year !!