Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on August 03, 2016, 08:30:42 AM

Title: Honda disc grinding
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 03, 2016, 08:30:42 AM
Myself and JamesH have been looking for someone who resurfaces Honda stainless brake discs. I know that Vic World de-rivets them and gets them surface ground, which TBH I could do myself at work  but I don't fancy the thought of re-riveting them again. The disc is off my 750K0 and is a rare  K0/sandcast  only  item.

Mick (kettle738) put me onto this listing below and I contacted the seller but I got this reply:

"  What kind of finish on the braking surface are you after?  The stone grinding does not give you 100%  flat surface, I've never had any problems with highs spots ect?
  "

Anyone had a disc re-ground/resurfaced? or suggestions

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232030657931?euid=fa4d80734a3e4cbab4520b0fe8c342c0&bu=43165688408&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu
Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: royhall on August 03, 2016, 10:35:37 AM
Ash you asked me to get you a price for this off my guy up here about 6 months ago. I think it was £40 to uni-grind a rear F2 disc. I can check if you want and if okay you can send them to me and I will get them done for you. Have a look at my old posts for my F2 there are some pictures on there. In a nutshell it came back like new.
Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 03, 2016, 10:41:32 AM
Ash you asked me to get you a price for this off my guy up here about 6 months ago. I think it was £40 to uni-grind a rear F2 disc. I can check if you want and if okay you can send them to me and I will get them done for you. Have a look at my old posts for my F2 there are some pictures on there. In a nutshell it came back like new.

Cheers Roy .. I forgot all about that .. think I will go your route then, if you have had it done already.
Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: royhall on August 03, 2016, 10:46:52 AM
Cant find my old post now Ash. Will see if I can find an old photo and post that. He did a superb job on it, the disc I sent him was a bit chewed up (pads worn right down at some point) and it came back like new. Is it a front disc for your 500 your looking at. I will get an up to date price.


[attach=1]


[attach=2]


Best pictures I can Find. Sure I have some of the before and after type somewhere?
Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 03, 2016, 11:32:05 AM
No I swapped the original drilled one with a superb nick 3k miler one from DK on the 500 with my mate. Its for my 750K0
Here are the pics n specs.

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3][attachimg=4]


Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: royhall on August 03, 2016, 11:44:25 AM
The way he does them, he bolts the mounting flange to a uni-grinder faceplate and skims minimum off the outside, then turns it round and mounts the skimmed side direct to the faceplate and clamps it through the centre and skims minimum again. That ensures the disc is flat and true to the mounting flange on both sides. Yours looks in better nick than mine was so should be good to go. Will get back to you with a price.
Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: mick on August 03, 2016, 12:06:33 PM
Hi Ash I can vouch for Phil at Bluehazebrakes, he's well known in the Kettle community and does excellent work ,  ;)cheers Mick.

http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1185
Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: Trigger on August 03, 2016, 01:08:25 PM
I had a disc cutter/re-facer that could do the job as long has the disc's had not been drilled. Did a load of BMW stainless disc's before I gave i to another engineering firm. Will contact them and see if they still have it.
Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: royhall on August 03, 2016, 02:39:59 PM
Ash. Just been to visit the engineering shop, £40 per disc.
Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 03, 2016, 10:03:38 PM
Ash. Just been to visit the engineering shop, £40 per disc.

Will take you up on your kind offer Roy..Price sounds OK and come with your blessing. I already have your address, is it OK to post to you. I sense a slight reluctance from the Kettle guy ...perhaps he is jigged up to do GT750's not Honda's.
Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: royhall on August 03, 2016, 11:06:05 PM
No worries Ash I will drop it in for you. It must be a difficult job to do as my guy says he will do one or two but don't bring sackfulls. He's a cheery soul sometimes.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 22, 2016, 11:14:12 AM
Just got my 750K0 disc back from Roy's engineering contact guy. Absolutely superb job and a massive thank you to Roy for handing it for me.
Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: MCTID on August 22, 2016, 12:21:14 PM
Oi....Ash.....what about me ? I 'chaufered' your disc to the machinists. LOL.
Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 22, 2016, 12:33:25 PM
Oi....Ash.....what about me ? I 'chaufered' your disc to the machinists. LOL.

Sorry mate ... didn't know that.  ;D ;D So a massive thanks to you too!
Title: Re: Honda disc grinding
Post by: royhall on August 22, 2016, 12:36:46 PM
Yes a big thanks to Alan. Got me out the house a bit whilst I had a broken ankle. Not bike related thankfully, fell over myself (as old people do). Glad your pleased with it Ash, the guys a real genius engineer, and only 1/4 mile from home. How lucky is that.