Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: billdn on August 07, 2016, 07:32:06 PM
-
i'm just reassembling a 400/4 engine and have got the crank cases together and the external selector mechanism, next stage is assembling the clutch. however my trusty Haynes manual says to try the gear selection mechanism - so with a pair of molegrips on the gear shift side i tried the gears and to be honest a bit chunky and clunky would be the best description. my question is is this normal and should I just carry on assembly or , and please dont say it, but do I need to split the crankcases again and sort the problem out. I feel i know the answer but i'm hoping i'm wrong. :-\ this is the first time i've ever done this so are there are tricks i've missed?
-
Without seeing feeling it I can't say for sure, but it's surprising how much leverage the gearlever applies. Chances are it's normal, as you won't have oil in the engine, and provided the gears engage okay, I doubt you gave any issue to worry about.
-
I've just got my engine back together and running and I had the same problem. I too was a first time builder. Turning the engine a little while trying to engage the gear helped but I still had reservations, however it all seems OK now. Although I haven't been out on it I can select and get drive through all gears and I've ridden it up and down the driveway a couple of times so I think its OK. I agree with previous post that its difficult to say but I'm sure if you've taken your time and followed the manual it will be fine. The gears can be difficult to select anyway so my advice is carry on and have faith !!!
Regards
Steve
-
It does feel clunky when trying the gears by hand. Bear in mind the engine isn't rotating, which keeps all the dogs engaged with each other. As long as you can select all 6 it should be fine.
-
Plus 1 with Mike. The gears aren't designed to be worked like that. Just try engaging gear on any bike without the engine running. Chances are you would have to rock the bike to get it to engage. I'm sure it will be fine, if it was assembled wrongly you would have struggled to get the cases together properly. Good luck with the build.
-
Thanks all...put my mind at rest. my wife said the gear lever exerts a different pressure and the absence of oil might be hindering perhaps i'll get her to do the rest!