Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: PHILIP2908 on August 14, 2016, 09:44:31 AM

Title: CB750K2 Swinging arm bushes
Post by: PHILIP2908 on August 14, 2016, 09:44:31 AM
Hi all,
Having a laugh a minute this weekend trying to get the old bushes out of the swinging arm; heat, hammers and swearing have all been used to no effect,
Q 1. Anybody got any ideas?
I'm fast approaching the point where I'm going to hacksaw a slot in each bush to get them out.
As recommended, I bought some bushes from Frank in Germany and they are totes different to what I have taken off.
Q2. Do I discard the felt washer, the washer with the rim and the dust cap? Or have I got the wrong parts? They are also sloppy on the central machined tube they sit on so it looks as though I'm going to need a new one of these too.
As always, thanks in advance for any wisdom.
Phil
Title: Re: CB750K2 Swinging arm bushes
Post by: mick on August 14, 2016, 11:02:12 AM
Hi Phil when I did mine I got my parts from Silvers and I used the hacksaw method  ;) cheers Mick.

(http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/mcpuffett/swiningarmbushes002.jpg) (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/mcpuffett/media/swiningarmbushes002.jpg.html)
(http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/mcpuffett/swiningarmbushes003.jpg) (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/mcpuffett/media/swiningarmbushes003.jpg.html)
(http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/mcpuffett/swiningarmbushes008.jpg) (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/mcpuffett/media/swiningarmbushes008.jpg.html)
(http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/mcpuffett/swiningarmbushes006.jpg) (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/mcpuffett/media/swiningarmbushes006.jpg.html)
(http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/mcpuffett/swiningarmbushes007.jpg) (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/mcpuffett/media/swiningarmbushes007.jpg.html)
Title: Re: CB750K2 Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Trigger on August 14, 2016, 11:32:49 AM
Hi all,
Having a laugh a minute this weekend trying to get the old bushes out of the swinging arm; heat, hammers and swearing have all been used to no effect,
Q 1. Anybody got any ideas?
I'm fast approaching the point where I'm going to hacksaw a slot in each bush to get them out.
As recommended, I bought some bushes from Frank in Germany and they are totes different to what I have taken off.
Q2. Do I discard the felt washer, the washer with the rim and the dust cap? Or have I got the wrong parts? They are also sloppy on the central machined tube they sit on so it looks as though I'm going to need a new one of these too.
As always, thanks in advance for any wisdom.
Phil

You don't use the felt washer, just the dust caps. Have fitted more than 50 of these in the past year from Frank. Post some Pictures Phil.
Title: Re: CB750K2 Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Bryanj on August 14, 2016, 12:00:54 PM
Fit the bushes before you try the pin as they compress slightly BUT yes the pin tends to wear at least as much if not more
Title: Re: CB750K2 Swinging arm bushes
Post by: Trigger on August 14, 2016, 02:15:15 PM
I would soak the bushes in oil for at least 24hrs before fitting. If you need the clearance measurement, I have it somewhere.
Title: Re: CB750K2 Swinging arm bushes
Post by: flatfour on August 15, 2016, 09:07:07 AM
I tried bushes with mine last year (1972 CB750 K2) and found that they made little difference, so needed to dismantle it again two weeks later to replace the pin which eliminated the excessive movement immediately.
Title: Re: CB750K2 Swinging arm bushes
Post by: PHILIP2908 on August 15, 2016, 01:47:15 PM
Yep, same here. I've just ordered a new central pin from DS (£50!!) as there wasn't that much wear on the bushes.
Trouble was I'd destroyed them with a hack-saw in getting them out.
Ho Hum.