Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Dave1234 on August 14, 2016, 02:34:28 PM

Title: Front Brake Hoses
Post by: Dave1234 on August 14, 2016, 02:34:28 PM
Hi all, thinking of changing the front brake hoses on the good old 550k3 for braided ones. So obvious question is what are the best ones to buy and from where? It is good to get others people thoughts before I buy.Cheers in advance for any replies.
Title: Re: Front Brake Hoses
Post by: Dave1234 on August 14, 2016, 02:38:40 PM
Also do the braided hoses go all the way to the caliper so you don't need to use the copper brake pipe?
Title: Re: Front Brake Hoses
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on August 14, 2016, 03:00:35 PM
I went with Venhill brake lines and fittings (20 deg. banjos) run directly from the caliper to the MC.  You just need to make sure that the position of the fittings doesn't torque the caliper at an angle, but it's not difficult to set up.  I ordered direct from their website.

http://www.venhill.co.uk/Hoses_-_Components_&_Lines/POWERHOSE

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Front Brake Hoses
Post by: Dave1234 on August 14, 2016, 03:44:24 PM
Thanks Mr T, does that mean you by-passed the stop switch or am I being stupid?
Title: Re: Front Brake Hoses
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on August 14, 2016, 11:20:39 PM
I've got controls from an R1 so my switch is on the lever.... you could run it to the stop switch and then up from there, would just need an additional 2 banjos.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Front Brake Hoses
Post by: matthewmosse on August 15, 2016, 08:28:04 AM
I got mine through custom fastners on my 2nd k3, used a different splitter ( to accomodate twin disks and switch, think it was a gpz item) on my other cb500s I have had some that use a banjo mounted switch on the master and others that retain the standard splitter but replace the rubber and steel lines with 2 lengths of braided stainless. Most of my bikes came pre fitted with stainless lines - I have only had to upgrade 2 bikes ever, and it deffinately inproved both, most especially my bmw ex police r80rt.
Title: Re: Front Brake Hoses
Post by: florence on August 15, 2016, 09:17:28 AM
I've used braided hoses on mine, two in fact using the standard stop switch and I have a combined stainless steel banjo fitting and bleed nipple.  It never corrodes and actually makes bleeding more efficient because the bleed nipple is at the highest point.

The braided hoses make the brakes have more 'feel' and are a definite improvement.
Title: Re: Front Brake Hoses
Post by: Dave1234 on August 15, 2016, 10:37:11 AM
Where you get them from Florence?
Title: Re: Front Brake Hoses
Post by: Dave1234 on August 16, 2016, 07:43:03 PM
Are HEL brakehoses a good make?
Title: Re: Front Brake Hoses
Post by: Trigger on August 16, 2016, 08:31:05 PM
If you cut open a original Honda hose, you will find it is braided ;)
Title: Re: Front Brake Hoses
Post by: s7paul on September 03, 2016, 04:25:38 PM
Nothing wrong with HEL, but there are cheaper alternatives.  Also note that many suppliers will automatically provide plated mild steel fittings, which will eventually corrode, so make sure you get stainless fittings to go with your stainless hose.