Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: masonmart on August 17, 2016, 01:57:24 PM

Title: Front mudguard
Post by: masonmart on August 17, 2016, 01:57:24 PM
Has anybody ever fitted a non-standard mudguard at the front? I'm thinking of a lightweight mudguard that doesn't fit via stays to the fork ends. It's going on a cafe racer so the standard unit would look terrible. Anybody sell this type of mudguard to fit the CB500/550 forks. There are bracket fixing points but the LHS ones are used to fix the caliper holder.

MM
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: Tomb on August 17, 2016, 02:03:38 PM
I fitted a GRP mudguard blade similar to a Dunstall, it was supposed to jubilee/hose clip to the forks but was crap so I made a bracket out of 3mm stainless in a big upside down U shape. This also acts as a great fork brace which you lose if fitting a plastic guard instead of the sturdy original. When using the guard hose clipped, the front brake pulls on one side of the fork twisting it round under hard stopping.
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: Tomb on August 17, 2016, 02:06:37 PM
Mine was like this

(http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/kCwAAOSwBPNXSJ8D/s-l225.jpg)

I trimmed the side lugs off to use the home made bracket
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: masonmart on August 17, 2016, 03:09:52 PM
Yes, that's like the Dresda one I have and it's dreadful. If I make a bracket from SS I presume it fastens to the tapped holes for the caliper holder?

Many thanks
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: Tomb on August 17, 2016, 06:40:17 PM
Yep, the original mudguard mounting holes and just like the original fitted with the caliper bracket
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: stevush on August 17, 2016, 09:08:45 PM
MM,
Heres a snip of the mudguard I have
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: stevush on August 17, 2016, 09:10:15 PM
Another
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: masonmart on August 17, 2016, 09:19:22 PM
Bingo Steve, that is a real help. Exactly what I was looking for.
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: stevush on August 17, 2016, 09:24:51 PM
MM,
I'm going away for a couple of days but if you PM me your address etc, I'll post it off to you when I can, probably early next week. Its a freebie, just pay the postage and maybe a small donation to the site ?

Cheers
Steve
Title: Re: Front mudguard
Post by: masonmart on August 19, 2016, 07:45:32 PM
MM,
I'm going away for a couple of days but if you PM me your address etc, I'll post it off to you when I can, probably early next week. Its a freebie, just pay the postage and maybe a small donation to the site ?

Cheers
Steve

Just let me know how much Steve.

MM