Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: PHILIP2908 on September 12, 2016, 12:32:55 PM

Title: Its a 'keeper'......
Post by: PHILIP2908 on September 12, 2016, 12:32:55 PM
Hi All,
Finally got the K2 running down the road, went through the gears and all seems to work so think I will keep it. Ran like a dog though due (I think) over -
fuelling; had petrol dropping out the over-flow tubes and ran on 2/3 cylinders, black smoke from exhausts, smells like my local Texaco etc.
I'm pretty sure the floats were OK and I checked the heights. So can only be worn out needle valves is my guess. Or am I missing something? Whaddaya think everybody? Any advice welcomed before I shell out £30 to DS for a set of new ones.
Also, a bigger problem may be the oil leak I have at the front of the cam box. This is where the cam chain throws off its oil. It has a new gasket there and I'm pretty sure I tightened up all the screws and bolts to the correct torque (7ftlbs). The question is with the tank off and the breather box off, is it possible to get at the screws and tighten them up? If I've got to take the engine out again I'll scream blue murder !!
Title: Re: Its a 'keeper'......
Post by: Chris400F on September 12, 2016, 01:07:40 PM
If you need carb parts you could try these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750K-K1-K2-K3-K4-K5-K6-Carb-Repair-Kits-4-Repair-Kits-Include-48-1912-/261752454445?hash=item3cf1a97d2d
I know a number of people on here (myself included) have used these sets for other bikes.
Title: Re: Its a 'keeper'......
Post by: Bryanj on September 12, 2016, 03:10:16 PM
Its easy to fit the rocker box gasket backwards then it leaks, if from lower down the rubber seals under the cam towers are known to leak and oil can get down the tower holding stud threads. It has been said you can finagle a cover gasket in with the cover loosened so you must be able to get at the screws but I never managed it
Title: Re: Its a 'keeper'......
Post by: PHILIP2908 on September 12, 2016, 09:04:46 PM
Seems as though Bryanj is right. I've got the cam box gasket on the wrong way. There's an 'ear' which points inwards and has to be on the left hand side. To change it I was thinking I'd have to take the engine out again; but not according to this fella who made the same mistake I did. If you can get the screws out you can lift it up and swop the gasket:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2orch75W2uI

Also looking on You Tube it seems as though you can 'lap in' the carb needle valves with a mild abrasive such as toothpaste or Solvol metal polish. Any of you done this? Was it successful?
Thanks in advance.
Phil d'A
Title: Re: Its a 'keeper'......
Post by: royhall on September 12, 2016, 11:25:25 PM
You can just change the rocker box gasket but it's very very tight. The problem is usually the old gasket coming off in pieces. It's absolutely impossible to scrape off stuck gasket in situ without it falling into the engine. And once you've started the job there's no going back, the engine will have to come out to clean up the faces. Good luck.
Title: Re: Its a 'keeper'......
Post by: Bryanj on September 13, 2016, 06:53:50 AM
You ain't the first and I doubt you will be the last to make the mistake. Now i have not tried it but if you remove all the engine mounting bolts will it drop/twist to make taking the cover off easier? If you do get it off i would fit a new tacho drive seal as well as that is a pain to replace in situ