Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on September 14, 2016, 02:27:32 PM

Title: Can't believe this link it active still.. gonna download it all tonight
Post by: AshimotoK0 on September 14, 2016, 02:27:32 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Honda-CB-/331120055291?ssPageName=VIP%3Awatchlink%3Atop%3Aen&fromMakeTrack=true&nma=true&si=LXb8ln7D8DI4iziTkD3rGVtGOek%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Title: Re: Can't believe this link it active still.. gonna download it all tonight
Post by: hairygit on September 14, 2016, 02:38:22 PM
You don't need to download it Ash, Just open the page, then press "convert" along the top of the page, and adobe acrobat does it all for you!
Title: Re: Can't believe this link it active still.. gonna download it all tonight
Post by: MrDavo on September 14, 2016, 04:06:44 PM
Some fascinating detail photos there, interesting that it has matching numbers.

Do we know who bought it?
Title: Re: Can't believe this link it active still.. gonna download it all tonight
Post by: Nurse Julie on September 14, 2016, 07:01:01 PM
Ok, why if it's one of the rare hand build sandcasts is the frame and engine number so high, 2113 isn't one of the first built I'd imagine. He goes on about 2 digit numbers being worth more and yet his is a 4 digit, come on what gives here.

Plus why is the return spring missing off the front caliper?

Enlighten a 750 K0 novice, don't get the appeal of them at all. I had a mate who had frame number 7 of the Kwack 500, I can understand that I suppose even though I thought the later models better looking.

I thought that about the numbers too but assumed he was taking about the last 2 digits only. We have a Honda with VIN number 000071 and an engine number of 000086, so that must be worth a shed load of money and I don't think it's ever been in Brighton  ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Can't believe this link it active still.. gonna download it all tonight
Post by: AshimotoK0 on September 14, 2016, 07:06:20 PM
Totally different numbering system on those pre-prod prototypes... all explained on the Sandcast forum site.

Those 4 bikes hardly have a part exactly the same as even the sandcast production like for example billet crank. Personally, I find it fascinating but I am a nerd/anorak/obsessive/nutter or whatever you want to label me  ;D ;D
Title: Re: Can't believe this link it active still.. gonna download it all tonight
Post by: Nurse Julie on September 14, 2016, 07:09:42 PM
Totally different numbering system on those pre-prod prototypes... all explained on the Sandcast forum site.

Those 4 bikes hardly have a part exactly the same as even the sandcast production like for example billet crank. Personally, I find it fascinating but I am a nerd/anorak/obsessive/nutter or whatever you want to label me  ;D ;D
Ah,bless you Ash. We don't think your any of them things really, it's all in your imagination  ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Can't believe this link it active still.. gonna download it all tonight
Post by: AshimotoK0 on September 15, 2016, 07:30:16 AM
Totally different numbering system on those pre-prod prototypes... all explained on the Sandcast forum site.

Those 4 bikes hardly have a part exactly the same as even the sandcast production like for example billet crank. Personally, I find it fascinating but I am a nerd/anorak/obsessive/nutter or whatever you want to label me  ;D ;D

Oh god spare me from reading the sandcast forum, I'd sooner walk to London with a nail in my shoe.  Can't see why Honda would not number them as they were built, first built is No1 etc, you don't start at 2110 for example.

I know the Japanese are a weird people but even they would think that was weird.

Sorry if I try to explain it all this will, actually end up like the SOOC forum. I loved it when UKPete dutifully did an excellent rebuild thread including tons of pics, details etc.  on his bike on there but there were almost zilch comments back or praise for the great stuff he was doing. So he gave them a bit of a roasting ...good on 'yer Pete.

BTW Oddjob(Ken). It's "I'd rather ride bare ar*ed to Bournmouth where I come from"  ;D
Title: Re: Can't believe this link it active still.. gonna download it all tonight
Post by: Bryanj on September 15, 2016, 07:33:43 AM
They did start with no 1 for both but as engines failed QC the numbers started drifting, at least thats  what Honda told me
Title: Re: Can't believe this link it active still.. gonna download it all tonight
Post by: Trigger on September 15, 2016, 08:40:38 AM
Let me enlighten you on engines and the numbers. Yes, all engines are numbered in sequence starting with number 1, the first 50 would of been test engines (Prototype) and run on bench tests at QC. Because these engines have been run, they would of never been fitted to any vehicle that would of been sold  and would have been analysed and then scraped after all tests have been carried out. Honda at this time were trying to get bigger in the world market and could not risk any mistakes.
Once a production line is up and running QC would of pulled 1 in 50 engines for testing .
Many of the Prototype CX500 sandcast engines are in the UK because, Honda had them tested by Associated Octel.