Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Rozabikes Tim on November 06, 2016, 08:01:17 PM

Title: Whats this?
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on November 06, 2016, 08:01:17 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142172370935

Look at the pictures of this restored 400 on ebay. There is some extra metal casting between clutch lever and cable. Intrigued, what is it?
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: mike the bike on November 06, 2016, 09:37:04 PM
That's what I think too, some kind of gearing to make the clutch lighter.   I'd bin those mudguards at the first opportunity.
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: royhall on November 07, 2016, 07:58:54 AM
That's what I think too, some kind of gearing to make the clutch lighter.   I'd bin those mudguards at the first opportunity.
I agree Mike, those cheap universal mudguards could be the ruin of that bike. Otherwise looks fairly tidy, just needs finishing with some NOS parts. Would be nice if it stayed at £861.
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: tom400f on November 07, 2016, 10:07:04 AM
Only seen one of those clutch amplifiers come up once on ebay in the past (may be that is it...). bike pusher was selling it. Went for about £35-40 I think.
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: paul G on November 07, 2016, 12:41:55 PM
It is definitely the device that lightens the clutch action.
I could do with one on mine, can't believe how heavy it is compared with the 550 and the Z650. :(
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on November 07, 2016, 04:04:43 PM
Yes that was my theory on the clutch add on.

On the worryiing side,  I must be experiencing the first sign of "sohc anoraknees", as when I looked at the pictures, I too picked up on the  muguards being non standard etc. Would have just thought nice bike a few years ago. Too long on this forum me thinks!
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: Pops400 on November 07, 2016, 04:17:57 PM
Go on then, I'll ask. How do you tell? Looks ok to my untrained eye.
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on November 07, 2016, 04:23:24 PM
Now that would be  telling!
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: royhall on November 07, 2016, 04:29:06 PM
They are square.
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: Chris400F on November 07, 2016, 04:42:13 PM
Fitting the stays to the front one makes it look a bit better, and the brace looks correct, but the guard itself is wrong.
The back one is not nice at all - looks way too high.
Those bars would have to go too, but maybe that was the only way to get room for the clutch gismo.
Is it just me or does the frame look to have been painted with swingarm and engine bolts in place?
In the 7th pic the swingarm and engine mounting bolt look to have been painted black, as the frame.

Paul, maybe an obvious point but how is your cable?
My clutch was very heavy when I got the bike, a new cable worked wonders. I couldn't move the inner by hand when I tried the old one after removal.
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: paul G on November 07, 2016, 04:52:12 PM
Fitting the stays to the front one makes it look a bit better, and the brace looks correct, but the guard itself is wrong.
The back one is not nice at all - looks way too high.
Those bars would have to go too, but maybe that was the only way to get room for the clutch gismo.
Is it just me or does the frame look to have been painted with swingarm and engine bolts in place?
In the 7th pic the swingarm and engine mounting bolt look to have been painted black, as the frame.

Paul, maybe an obvious point but how is your cable?
My clutch was very heavy when I got the bike, a new cable worked wonders. I couldn't move the inner by hand when I tried the old one after removal.
[/quote

All new Chris.
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: Nurse Julie on November 07, 2016, 05:08:31 PM
When I got my 400/4 it also had the wrong front guard fitted as the photo shows, with only the back stay, it just didn't look right. Correct one fitted now though.
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: Pops400 on November 07, 2016, 05:16:05 PM
Ta all.
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: Trigger on November 07, 2016, 05:29:57 PM
I know what it is for, as I fitted it in 1991. I think I got it off a brit bike and it was fitted after I had a serious accident to my left arm/hand to make it easier to pull the clutch in. Sold that bike in 2004.
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: Pops400 on November 07, 2016, 07:41:39 PM
They are square.

Gotcha. I see what you mean now I've had chance to compare some pics. Agreed, doesn't look right now I know.

Every day's an education, eh?  ;)
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: tom400f on November 07, 2016, 07:54:58 PM
I know what it is for, as I fitted it in 1991. I think I got it off a brit bike and it was fitted after I had a serious accident to my left arm/hand to make it easier to pull the clutch in. Sold that bike in 2004.

Show-boating  ;)
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: Trigger on November 07, 2016, 08:27:17 PM
I know what it is for, as I fitted it in 1991. I think I got it off a brit bike and it was fitted after I had a serious accident to my left arm/hand to make it easier to pull the clutch in. Sold that bike in 2004.

Show-boating  ;)

Nothing to do with any boats, it was a 42 ton truck that ran me over and put the brakes on when the tractor wheels were on my arm.
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: paul G on November 08, 2016, 12:34:24 PM
Paul check your cable routing if everything is new and it's still heavy, surprising just how much the routing affects the clutch feel.

Front mudguard looks like a Yamaha one from the 80s to me.

Oddjob,

Will do
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: Chris400F on November 08, 2016, 01:33:29 PM
Think I should double-check mine is correct too. Operation is way better than it was but still feels a bit heavy.
Best diagram I have found showing routing is on page 16 of the CB400 Setup Manual (in the usual Dropbox).
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: tom400f on November 08, 2016, 04:46:43 PM
I know what it is for, as I fitted it in 1991. I think I got it off a brit bike and it was fitted after I had a serious accident to my left arm/hand to make it easier to pull the clutch in. Sold that bike in 2004.

Show-boating  ;)

Nothing to do with any boats, it was a 42 ton truck that ran me over and put the brakes on when the tractor wheels were on my arm.

I was rather referring to the notion that just about every SOHC to pass through the market seems to have had your hand on it in some way or other... ;)
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: royhall on November 09, 2016, 06:59:37 AM
Was that the squashed hand he had on it?😀
Title: Re: Whats this?
Post by: Trigger on November 09, 2016, 08:04:46 PM
Was that the squashed hand he had on it?😀

Never had you down as one of the 400 bitches ;D Can still pull out a CB750 clutch basket with one hand  ;)