Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => Other Bikes => Topic started by: Laverda Dave on November 26, 2016, 11:20:57 PM
-
Hi All,
With Project 400/4 nearing completion it's time I started looking for a new project to do.
I have a CB250RS in the garage with 16k on the clock. I haven't used it for about 5 years and it has become 'cosmeticaly challenged'. I don't intend to do anything with the engine but will ultrasonically clean the carb and rebuild the wheels as they are both rusty in the spoke area.
Does anyone know what the finish is called on the metal rear mudguard? It looks to be some form of a powder coat/galvanised original finish but has gone rusty in areas.
The kick-start lever also appears to have a matt anodised type finish, does anyone know what this is.
Honda obviously built these bikes to a strict cost with some of the metal finishing being a bit on the cheap side!
-
No idea re finish but always really fancied one of these and always half looking. They always get good reviews. Is it a bike you rode previously, what was it like?
Told common issues included lack of oil changes / knackered head and chain life not good.
-
Always liked the look of these. My brother had one, may well still have it tucked away in one of his sheds.
If the rims are rusty are they the right ones? I thought this bike had alloy rims as standard.
-
I too thought they had Alloy rims as standard.
The garage down the road seems to collect them and the CX Turbos.
I always thought the RS looked a bit like a CG on steroids.
-
I've owned the bike for 15 years, it's blue one. It was my daily ridden, great fun riding it to work in central London, never caught in traffic being so slim and nippy, they are good for 85mph although a bit flighty at that speed. Great bikes though and a great looking and sounding exhaust. The day I bought the bike in Northampton a nate gave me a lift on his ZZR 600. On the way back home to Ruislip I stayed with him for the whole journey through the backwoods difference was he was using his brakes whereas I didn't touch mine :D.
Chris, the rims are alloy but the spokes are rusty so plan is to keep the original rims following a vapour clean and fit stainless spokes. If I were you I'd drag the bike from your brothers shed if he has one :).
-
HI,
I thought that these may be of some use. Sadly though the one pictured is a so called DELUXE version without the kickstart.
[attach=2][attach=3][attach=4]
-
Thanks Rob. Good reference material. The tank decals were nicer on the RSD, the RSA had the decal running down the centre of the tank. Not sure about wearing one piece leathers when riding one!