Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: royhall on November 27, 2016, 10:47:31 AM

Title: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: royhall on November 27, 2016, 10:47:31 AM
Has anybody used a tappet adjustment tool like this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Tappet-Adjust-Tool-for-CB350F-CB400F-400-4-350-400-SOHC-Four-1970s-HWT026-/251957752640 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Tappet-Adjust-Tool-for-CB350F-CB400F-400-4-350-400-SOHC-Four-1970s-HWT026-/251957752640)

Any comments on using them would be welcomed before I waste some money. Cheers all.
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: Trigger on November 27, 2016, 11:18:32 AM
I just use a offset 10mm spanner and a stubby screwdriver. That tool looks a bit cumbersome
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: K2-K6 on November 27, 2016, 11:40:58 AM
Same for me,  I've owned one of those tools since 1980s and always go for the same as Trigger,  it's easier and more feel with spanner and stubby. I've mainly been on 750s though so some might prefer that tool for the smaller fours.
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: royhall on November 27, 2016, 11:50:45 AM
Dont forget guys this tool is for 350/400 that doesn't have the slot for the stubby driver just a square. Using two spanners and a .0002 shim is pretty awkward, much easier on a 750.
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: Trigger on November 27, 2016, 12:58:34 PM
CB350/400/CX500 and many more, its a couple of quid.
[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: Chris400F on November 27, 2016, 01:32:34 PM
Sounds good, but the cheapest I can see from a quick look is this one at £12.99 delivered.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-TAPPET-ADJUSTMENT-TOOL-FOR-ATC-70-1978-/400611890240?hash=item5d46545440:g:Qz4AAOxy3zNSjiGt
Have you a cheaper option?
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: Trigger on November 27, 2016, 02:35:13 PM
Chris I always have a cheaper option, the part number is 07708-0030400. You should be able to pick one up from a local Honda dealer for less than a pint of beer ;)

DSS do them for under £4. They are also used on Honda lawnmowers ;D ;D
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: Trigger on November 27, 2016, 02:44:27 PM
You can also make one for less than 10p >>>http://cx500forum.com/cs/forums/196843/ShowPost.aspx
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: royhall on November 27, 2016, 02:48:30 PM
Thanks Trigger. Will order one with my next DSS order. Cheers.
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: Trigger on November 27, 2016, 02:56:21 PM
Thanks Trigger. Will order one with my next DSS order. Cheers.

I may also splash out on a new one, only had mine 27 years  ;D ;D
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: mike the bike on November 27, 2016, 04:13:48 PM
I made something similar to the CX500 bloke, using a square drive screw and a 1/4" hex drive 3mm drill bit.  I removed the drill bit from the hex drive and soldered the screw head in it.  It works a treat.
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: Chris400F on March 30, 2017, 02:14:04 PM
I decided to get one of these tools, but where from?
DS list it but aren't expecting stock until 8th April so I consulted Mr Google.
That came up with a company called Kramp (http://www.kramp.com/shop-gb/en) who supply agricultural equipment and have branches/agents nationwide.
I got in touch with a local one and now have the part, cost £4.68 inc VAT (DS price £3.90 inc VAT but plus delivery, when they have it).
So if anyone else needs one that could be an option to try.
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: Laverda Dave on March 31, 2017, 07:31:08 AM
The cheap part suggested by Trigger is a godsend. Cheap, cheerful and does the job perfectly.
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: flatfour on March 31, 2017, 08:47:35 AM
I have the DS tappet tool that fits the CB500/750. It works well enough, however where there is limited space to work (near to the ignition switch for instance) I still find a spanner and screwdriver easier to use. The other issue that I have with it is that if you turn it flat (or worse still vertical) whilst removing/repositioning it the adjuster falls out from the body. As well as this being inconvenient, it is quite heavy and would probably mark any other part that it fell onto.

Overall it has its uses, although I wouldn't go out of my way to buy another.
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: Chris400F on March 31, 2017, 08:54:52 AM
The cheap part suggested by Trigger is a godsend. Cheap, cheerful and does the job perfectly.
I take it you are referring to this, which I had probably seen but had forgotten about:

[attachimg=1]

My square drill is blunt so I can't modify a nail  ;)
What is the metal part - is a square cutout a 'standard' head of some sort?
Now I have the tool I'll try it and see how I get on.
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: mike the bike on March 31, 2017, 12:01:04 PM
It's a nail for a 3mm square drive.  B&Q sell them for decking projects.
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: Spitfire on March 31, 2017, 03:46:17 PM
For 750's I used to use a key for winding up clocks, similar to a radiator key

Cheers

Dennis
Title: Re: Tappet adjustment tool
Post by: Chris400F on April 09, 2017, 09:33:02 PM
Did the valve clearances today using the new tool.
Well worth the money I reckon.
Never found the nails on the B&Q web site but would probably have had to buy 1000 anyway!