Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: MrDavo on December 20, 2016, 04:21:50 PM

Title: Tyres
Post by: MrDavo on December 20, 2016, 04:21:50 PM
(https://s5.postimg.org/5uq8xx253/PC170007.jpg)

I'm sorry to get picky about my own bike, but what spoils it for me are the just too modern looking Avon Roadriders, which is a shame, because I used to classic race on similar tyres, and they are totally trustworthy in all conditions. However, my aim is to get the bike to what to what you'd get if you went into the dealer and said 'I'll have the blue one.'

I think what I need are these tyres on a 'travel set' of less blingy wheels, especialy for the Classic TT (booked the ferry now, via Liverpool, Friday to Wednesday). I'm off to look on eBay for wheels. Will only K1 hubs fit?

What tyres could I get for these wheels, that look like the originals, but don't behave in the wet like the Japanese tyres of the 1970's ?  :o

Nobody seemed to keep them on for very long.




Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: Tomb on December 20, 2016, 05:08:49 PM
I like the Dunlop K82 for the classic look, and grip as good as the Roadriders, just watch for speed ratings.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?gclid=CKW9ysagg9ECFWgW0woddMYFlA&dsco=110&typ=D-M64504&partner=1&m_s=1&ID=froogle&s_kwcid=AL!432!3!167257582281!!!g!!&ef_id=V@qiBgAAAEeEkjii:20161220170451:s

(http://www.oponeo.co.uk/Temp/dunlop-k82-2543-t-f-l600-sk3.png)
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: MarkCR750 on December 20, 2016, 05:14:23 PM
They look just like the old TT100's and are a very soft compound so grip isn't an issue, good choice.
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: MrDavo on December 20, 2016, 05:41:47 PM
No I'm not after the best tyre, I'm after ones that look like the tyres Honda would have fitted.. They may well have been Bridgestones, tried them, fell off....
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: Trigger on December 20, 2016, 06:51:45 PM
Have not got a clue what Honda fitted, but I use Avon AM6 and AM7 and have never fallen off ;D
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: K2-K6 on December 20, 2016, 07:04:27 PM
Continental RB2 front and K112 rear.

Maybe known or advertised as RB2 twins.
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: K2-K6 on December 20, 2016, 07:15:01 PM
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=29124.0

There's some talk on them there, also think it may have been James down south on the UK Forum that was looking at them recently.
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: Johnwebley on December 20, 2016, 07:29:16 PM
Have not got a clue what Honda fitted, but I use Avon AM6 and AM7 and have never fallen off ;D

  you still using those stablisers ????
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: Trigger on December 20, 2016, 07:50:42 PM
Have not got a clue what Honda fitted, but I use Avon AM6 and AM7 and have never fallen off ;D

  you still using those stablisers ????

Never had a problem with a ribbed front, but I can ride a bike John  ;D
Some tyres suit some riders/bikes and some don't. When I was a London dispatch rider we all used Metzeler ME33 on the front and Avon AM21 rear on the CX500 but, I have been told by hundreds of tyre specialists that you should never mix tyres. My answer was, well 30.000 dispatch riders can't be wrong ;)   
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: MrDavo on December 20, 2016, 08:39:50 PM
Thanks K2-K6, a search for RB2 Conti Twins found loads on eBay  :)

Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: K2-K6 on December 20, 2016, 08:42:10 PM
It's funny that there was more or less herds of CX around London that have all disappeared.

Whole bunches of them at the front of traffic light queues sounding like chinook helicopters., going chobba chobba chobba.

Kawasaki GTs also with those special thin lightweight racing discs (just worn away from thousands of miles use). ;)
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: Trigger on December 20, 2016, 09:04:34 PM
It's funny that there was more or less herds of CX around London that have all disappeared.

Whole bunches of them at the front of traffic light queues sounding like chinook helicopters., going chobba chobba chobba.

Kawasaki GTs also with those special thin lightweight racing discs (just worn away from thousands of miles use). ;)

The dispatch market was killed by the fax machine and computers. Chasbikes had 125 CX's out on rental at one point. I was building 8 CX engines a week back in 1991/92.
The GT550 discs were crap and wore out within 25.000 miles, the CX would last 200.000. I was stopped by a police check at the favourite place at the bottom of Berkeley Sq, the officer said, those discs look a bit thin and bent down to measure them with his fingers  ;D He learnt that day to never do that again :)

And for those who have never seen this >>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKZ9VoBw654
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: K2-K6 on December 21, 2016, 09:31:31 AM
It's amusing when something like that happens. The underlying poor attitude to bikes generally shows through at times like that, they seem to feel that we are somehow getting something that they should be entitled to. Perhaps getting a little too political there so I'll not go further with that one.

The irony now with courier trade is that things like amazon have brought something similar back with so much being delivered on fast demand nowadays. The area is teeming with little cars all full of brown boxes, especially at this time of year.

Something else a bit like the CX was, the low emissions zone for commercials passes through locally and there are quite a few Volvo 240 estates used for what I'd call painter and decorator taxis. Plenty of space, not on emissions lists, go through all the width restrictions and visit the local tip without a second glance. It's funny what legislation and circumstances turn up.

MrDavo,  I feel the same as you in that a well presented bike of this era just looks better on a tire tread that gives a reasonable assimilation of the originals. I know the delivered tires were treated with great suspicion regarding grip and many people couldn't wait to dump them, but a modern tire looking like that completes the picture for me.

The classic racing sounds interesting, what bikes did you run?
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: onethumb on January 19, 2017, 02:37:49 PM
Love the look of mine but starting to think I might of bought them with my eyes not my head. (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170119/15e5f5056f0e70d075336046308e5846.jpg)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: Green1 on January 19, 2017, 10:47:04 PM
Definitely not with your head I don't even have them on my Peg
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: Erwin83 on January 20, 2017, 10:32:30 AM
My choice for a classic looking tyre, has been a set of Heidenau's.
A set of K36 to be precise.

https://goo.gl/photos/haxu5KNF9wR9Yi937
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: MrDavo on January 20, 2017, 11:02:29 AM
Love the look of mine but starting to think I might of bought them with my eyes not my head.

Bet you can't wait to try them in the wet.

However this week's 'Most Inappropriate Tyres on a Honda' award goes to Marc Marquez:

(http://www.visordown.com/sites/default/files/field/image/Marc%20Marquez%20snow%20spikes.jpg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isALKAqKfr8