Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Greebo on December 21, 2016, 11:25:36 AM

Title: Winter / Long term Storage
Post by: Greebo on December 21, 2016, 11:25:36 AM
I cover my bikes with proper semi fitted bike covers which are a damp & Dust resistant & a breathable material.

So I was surprised when i watched a programme on TV a few months back which showed Dave Silvers very large classic motorcycle collection & all the bikes were loosely covered with polythene sheets, & then today I watched the Goodwood Classic Car programme which showed again very collectable  classic cars loosely covered with polythene sheets... we all know polythene is water/damp resistant but its also not breathable which is not a good thing... :-\ ::)

 
Title: Re: Winter / Long term Storage
Post by: haynes66 on December 21, 2016, 03:57:58 PM
probably because his storage is heated!! he's got plenty of (my) cash.
Title: Re: Winter / Long term Storage
Post by: MarkCR750 on December 21, 2016, 05:28:26 PM
With what he's had from me I'm surprised it's not silk sheets !
Title: Re: Winter / Long term Storage
Post by: Laverda Dave on December 21, 2016, 05:31:12 PM
I've used vacbags in the past. They cone supplied with moisture absorbing granules in a small bag and a moisture indicator that are both put in the vacbag before the air is sacked out using a vacuum cleaner and sealed using a zip tie. Results were OK but not brilliant. Despite the zip tie air still got in as the bag is so difficult to seal properly due to the heavy gauge plastic. Its not easy getting the bike in there in the first place either! Going out for a quick blast on a rare nice day isn't easy either. I now use a dehumidifier since properly insulating the garage. Although expensive it's worth it in the long term especially if you have more then one bike in good condition and you want to keep it that way!
Title: Re: Winter / Long term Storage
Post by: Trigger on December 21, 2016, 08:03:33 PM
Or send it to Storacar >> https://www.storacar.com I have nothing to do with this company, honestly  ;)
Title: Re: Winter / Long term Storage
Post by: Greebo on December 22, 2016, 12:40:03 PM
Or send it to Storacar >> https://www.storacar.com I have nothing to do with this company, honestly  ;)

They are actually storing my Veyron right now.. ;D & I don't tell lies honestly.. ::) i just dream a lot .

Seriously though regarding the bike storage, my garage is well ventilated & not heated, I have never had any damp that I have noticed or any problems with rust or corrosion on the bikes
I think if you are going to heat a storage place/garage for bikes or cars then it has to be well insulated, hot air mixing with any cold air or any draughts produces water & obviously damp which is not good.

Title: Re: Winter / Long term Storage
Post by: Trigger on December 24, 2016, 01:54:43 PM
Or send it to Storacar >> https://www.storacar.com I have nothing to do with this company, honestly  ;)

They are actually storing my Veyron right now.. ;D & I don't tell lies honestly.. ::) i just dream a lot .

Seriously though regarding the bike storage, my garage is well ventilated & not heated, I have never had any damp that I have noticed or any problems with rust or corrosion on the bikes
I think if you are going to heat a storage place/garage for bikes or cars then it has to be well insulated, hot air mixing with any cold air or any draughts produces water & obviously damp which is not good.

And I thought yours was the Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI with only 2,600 miles on it. It has been in storage for the past 29 year. So someone loves it.
Title: Re: Winter / Long term Storage
Post by: Greebo on December 26, 2016, 03:17:59 PM
#Quote: And I thought yours was the Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI

Where have you got that info from ?  :o its news to me.. 8)