Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: MrDavo on January 09, 2017, 01:47:04 PM

Title: Import duty
Post by: MrDavo on January 09, 2017, 01:47:04 PM
If I buy parts from Japan for £50, including delivery, will I still get hit for import duty, VAT and pay a fee for Parcelfarce to collect it?

I seem to recall that under a certain amount they don't bother.
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 09, 2017, 02:04:22 PM
I can't answer your question but it may be worth asking Trigger if he has what you need in stock. He's tied up at the moment but will be free soon.
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: Johnwebley on January 09, 2017, 02:26:53 PM
I ordered Carb rebuild kits from Cruzimage ,

 value totally was just over £40,
I didn't pay any extra,

 recently I purchesed lots of items for a small yamaha from various countries,Wales,Thailand,USA ,holland .and Finland ,

 of these ,I was only caught once by Parcelforce scam,it cost me an extra £14 approx,

 seems its "potluck" if they charge you
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 09, 2017, 02:49:16 PM
Agree about Cruzinimage, we never get charged as the put the value down so low which helps.
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: hairygit on January 09, 2017, 03:37:58 PM
The official rule is any goods from outside the EU over £15 in value is liable for import duty, plus V.A.T. on the item value (including import duty) and the postage cost, plus parcelforce's charge on top for collecting the duty. Basically if an item gets stopped, you get stung badly!
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: MrDavo on January 09, 2017, 03:50:25 PM
Quote
He's tied up at the moment but will be free soon.

The mental image this gives me is surprisingly exactly the same as Google Images' result for 'tied up', though I hadn't thought of a ball gag. :)

Its a pillion footrest kit, mine are wrong and crap, so I doubt something Trigger would have in stock.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262771606685

From Hairygit's reply the cost is enough for duty etc to be a significant risk. I may be better refurbing a used set with new parts. It's not urgent, mine are as new but cheap, flimsy and just wrong.

Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: Trigger on January 09, 2017, 05:06:51 PM
Quote
He's tied up at the moment but will be free soon.

The mental image this gives me is surprisingly exactly the same as Google Images' result for 'tied up', though I hadn't thought of a ball gag. :)

Its a pillion footrest kit, mine are wrong and crap, so I doubt something Trigger would have in stock.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262771606685

From Hairygit's reply the cost is enough for duty etc to be a significant risk. I may be better refurbing a used set with new parts. It's not urgent, mine are as new but cheap, flimsy and just wrong.

I do have those in stock, they are not as good quality as the OEM ones, I bought them and then found the OEM ones. If I can find them, you can have them FOC.
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: MCTID on January 09, 2017, 05:07:44 PM
Try this Dealer first........Email: twowheelsfrank@yahoo.de

He had some CB Pillion Footrests on E Bay recently at a really good price.....they aren't on his E Bay site right now but he might be able to get some more....save you on Import Duty etc.
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: Trigger on January 09, 2017, 05:43:17 PM
Sorry, they are not M-TEC ones, they are very cheap copy's.
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 09, 2017, 08:36:07 PM
:o
Quote
He's tied up at the moment but will be free soon.

The mental image this gives me is surprisingly exactly the same as Google Images' result for 'tied up', though I hadn't thought of a ball gag. :)

:o  :o :o ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: steff750 on January 09, 2017, 08:36:41 PM
 ;) i did buy a lot of stuff off cruze image before xmas never had anything stopped so very lucky i spose
like hairygit says if parcelforce opens anything you get hurt badly
 im still hurting after a seat i bought from usa im sure it was back in 2000 they caught me for £30 plus i had to go and fetch it from thier depot they said i could claim it back off the vatman they are  rubbish liars  i hate them
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: philward on January 09, 2017, 10:47:26 PM
I've bought 2 bigbore kits costing about £120 from cruzimage and been luckily enough not to have been charged anything - still waiting for last thing I bought in early December - its apparently arrived in UK mid December but has disappeared of the tracking on post office website
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: Tomb on January 10, 2017, 07:07:45 AM
I bought one big bore kit from Cruzin Image and got stung for and extra £40 >:(
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: Seabeowner on January 10, 2017, 09:39:34 AM
Had three from Cruzinimage. One was for £109 and they all got through. Always got stung for parts from the USA. Someone at RM told me that the US delivery companies make life difficult for them so they nearly always pick out the US stuff.
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: hairygit on January 10, 2017, 10:05:28 AM
Had three from Cruzinimage. One was for £109 and they all got through. Always got stung for parts from the USA. Someone at RM told me that the US delivery companies make life difficult for them so they nearly always pick out the US stuff.
It doesn't help that it is a Federal offence to declare lower values on customs dockets for goods shipped from U.S. to U.K. due to some deal Gordon Brown did with the yanks over customs duties, so U.S. sellers often refuse to help us with it!
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: Johnwebley on January 10, 2017, 10:32:09 AM
if you buy from the US ebay,
 there is an international shipping deal ,if I remember correctly,it costs a little more,but they claim no extra customs payments etc,

 check it out ,may help



Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: Chris400F on January 10, 2017, 11:13:00 AM
I think John is referring to the eBay Global Shipping Programme.
Using this is the choice of the seller; some use it, some don't.
Items bought and shipped with this option should have all duty costs included in the total price paid.
If you buy an item that just quotes a postage cost then you may still have to pay duty charges, particularly (it seems) if the item is from the US.
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: paul G on January 10, 2017, 12:53:53 PM
I have used the global shipping as a buyer and seller a few times and been really impressed.
No aditional charges as a purchaser.
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: MrDavo on January 10, 2017, 02:11:42 PM
I've consulted the interwebs, and this seems to be the position:

import duty is NOT charged if:
The total order is worth £135 or less.
The total amount of import duty due is less than £9.

And then for VAT – it is NOT charged for any import worth less than £15 with the exception of tobacco, alcohol and perfumes – for which VAT is always payable

Vat is not a problem on my order, I don't mind paying that, the killer is the Parcelfarce charge on top as well. Paying both makes it uneconomic. I can get all the bits NOS from Germany, however they all have a high postage charge on each item. If I can negotiate a job lot postage charge it might work, if they choose to understand me.

I too bought a seat from the USA, if I'd realised how much the duty, VAT and collection fee would add up to, I wouldn't have bothered. Nice seat, though.

I've also learned that VAT is payable on anything from the Channel Islands - Ive been buying Harley parts VAT free (and advertised as such) from there for years, I don't know how that works.

I can see me getting the bits from Silvers at this rate, however he doesn't have all the bits I need at the moment.
Title: Re: Import duty
Post by: MrDavo on January 23, 2017, 03:24:57 PM
Just as a follow up, because the sum total of buying the OEM parts individually was so high, particularly because the parts were only available from different suppliers, nearly all abroad, I took a punt with the duty and ordered the M-TEC kit from Japan.

It turned up today, delivered by Parclefarce, there was no duty, VAT or anything else payable.

The quality seems OK, though I'd need to see an OEM footrest set to compare it with, I suppose the test is how long the plating lasts, I know the Honda ones can go rusty eventually, but how many years and salt baths that takes I don't know. I'm going to try and keep my plating dosed with spray on silicon where I can, as I am going to be riding Candy in all weathers, I don't want her to be a garage queen.

Ironically the OEM bolts (they go through the pillion rests and the exhausts, so are quite substantial) cost more, before postage from Germany, than the footrests, there were cheaper pattern bolts on my eBay watch list, but I forgot until I'd ordered.