Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Mag1 on January 15, 2017, 10:51:27 AM

Title: Single disc to dual disc front brake
Post by: Mag1 on January 15, 2017, 10:51:27 AM
Looking at making my 750k7 single front disc to dual braking, what works? Basically the same parts for single disc and fix to other side of forks, or is the brake calliper arm different from each side, looked at various conversions others have done and it looks the same set-up. Will a brake system from 550 work?
Title: Re: Single disc to dual disc front brake
Post by: hairygit on January 15, 2017, 11:20:59 AM
No! you will need 750 parts, the 550 has a smaller disc and while the 550 caliper looks the same, it isn't, the bolts that hold the 2 halves of the caliper together are spaced differently, and the actual piston is larger. The arm for a 550 brake wont fit either, it needs to all be 750 parts.
Title: Re: Single disc to dual disc front brake
Post by: Johnwebley on January 15, 2017, 12:46:08 PM
I did a twin disc on my 500,

  I got a GL1000 mastercylinder from David Silver.,
 also a double length banjo bolt to accept a second pipe on the tree,

 you just have to sort out the speedo drive ,
Title: Re: Single disc to dual disc front brake
Post by: Mag1 on January 15, 2017, 01:09:14 PM
Thanks, OK 750 parts only, will investigate speedo drive. What mods are required to existing drive unit?. Have already refurbished and fixed cbr600 master cylinder to my single disc and was no problem and fits well. Will see if I can find more info on this. Thanks again
Title: Re: Single disc to dual disc front brake
Post by: kevski on January 15, 2017, 03:12:45 PM
I done a twin disc on my old K3 500, new master cylinder matching calipers and and mounts, i had to spin the speedo drive up on my lathe to reduce it's thickness so the second disc would go on, hopefully you won't need to do it on the 750.
Title: Re: Single disc to dual disc front brake
Post by: Mag1 on January 15, 2017, 06:35:31 PM
Thanks, will look into this, if to costly will leave till next winter mods once I have had a chance to ride and tweek.
Title: Re: Single disc to dual disc front brake
Post by: Bryanj on January 15, 2017, 07:54:36 PM
This has been discussed many times before and if you search twin disc speedo drive you will get an answer
Title: Re: Single disc to dual disc front brake
Post by: MarkCR750 on January 15, 2017, 07:59:14 PM
This is the guide that I used

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=1525.0
Title: Re: Single disc to dual disc front brake
Post by: Mag1 on January 15, 2017, 10:13:56 PM
This is the guide that I used

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=1525.0

Very informative, thanks.
Title: Re: Single disc to dual disc front brake
Post by: Bryanj on January 17, 2017, 04:42:14 PM
BUT IT IS WRONG, the 500/550 speedo drive does not work as it is exactly same as the 760-------fed up of saying this!!
Title: Re: Single disc to dual disc front brake
Post by: Johnwebley on January 17, 2017, 05:23:40 PM
when I did my drive,I had to get this,

 http://www.cmsnl.com/products/retainer-gear-box_44641300000/#.WH5SavmLTIU


 this I used on my 500 !! 

 check for 750 !!!
Title: Re: Single disc to dual disc front brake
Post by: Mag1 on January 17, 2017, 05:51:25 PM
when I did my drive,I had to get this,

 http://www.cmsnl.com/products/retainer-gear-box_44641300000/#.WH5SavmLTIU


 this I used on my 500 !! 

 check for 750 !!!
Many thanks for your help guys, will review what I need to make this conversion work in regards to the speedo drive.
Title: Single disc to dual disc front brake
Post by: El__burro on January 17, 2017, 09:20:40 PM
Hello,
Here's a link to my older post about the same issue, mind you mine is a K2.
Cb750 dual disk upgrade http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=8469
and my little guide about speedo drive cutting.
cb750 vs cb500/550 speedo drive plate http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66389

I hope it helps.
el__burro