Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: El__burro on January 17, 2017, 09:37:58 PM
-
Hello, before starting to shop for a brand new battery I've read about "resurrecting" mine (barely used).
I guess my regulator messed it up.
it's a 1 year old MF sealed battery, on a the bike being ridden 3-4 times for short periods.
I have refilled the cells with battery water and let to charge for 3-4 hours;
When it reaches 13.5v it will not go any more, within 5 minutes I unplug the charger it drops down to 8v.
Shall I just dispose of it or it can be cured?
Thanks
el__burro
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170117/26b52d5313bb3996f7a7045e08bce04d.jpg)
-
I managed to resurrect a couple of wet cell batteries in the past using a couple of white tablets Halfords used to sell. I have no idea what was in them.
I have never managed to ressurect a gel battery mainly because they are sealed and despite using an optimate and then giving it some real amps using a car charger. I recently had to buy a new battery for the Blackbird, £70 with discount! The old one lasted 9 months, the alarm drained it to beyond flat and it couldn't be recovered. Moral, I should have ridden the bike more instead of restoring the 400 during the summer and I should have used the optimate!
Hope you find a cure, if you do let us all know the secret :)
-
should a sealed battery have caps on and not let any liquid out?
Mine popped out the first time I charged it.
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170117/a7b0d66c7d0aa3eae2d199ddd60b61a5.jpg)
Thanks
-
Hi, don't know if you have one already, but trickle charger works by slowly charging the battery to full health. Some will come with indicators which will inform you the battery is beyond repair. If you only ride your bike a few times of the year it's worth investing in one for approx £60 instead of buying new battery every year. As with most batteries if they are not used they lose charge very quickly and never recover. Best of all if hooked up with trickle chargers they will keep yours in top condition throughout the year.
-
Pretty sure these are the kind of tablets Laverda120 was referring to.
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/granville-bat-aid-tablets-x-12
I seem to recall using something similar many years ago, didn't even know they were still available.
As for the caps popping off, I'm no battery expert but that doesn't sound good to me.
-
should a sealed battery have caps on and not let any liquid out?
Mine popped out the first time I charged it.
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170117/a7b0d66c7d0aa3eae2d199ddd60b61a5.jpg)
Thanks
Sorry yes there should be caps on to make it sealed, did it explode with gases when being charged? Wow if it did luckily it was not on the bike
-
I have a trickle charger somewhere but rarely use it.
This is the one i use.
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170117/b32ef6d5ee7e5c927a2fa709d18ba53e.jpg)
Thanks
el__burro
-
yes there should be caps on to make it sealed, did it explode with gases when being charged? Wow if it did luckily it was not on the bike
Actually they just popped, no Hollywood style explosion. 
The battery was on the bike.
I guess the regulator overcharged it until it dried out.
Shall I seal the holes before charging it?
Thanks
el__burro
-
That's the ones Chris. I had no idea they were still available, very 80's!
I wouldn't use a dry cell battery after the lid has come off, that doesn't sound good. On the Blackbird the battery lays down and I wouldn't want the lid to come off in that position ???
We had a brand new car at work, less than 2 weeks old when the battery exploded whilst the car was idling at a level crossing. The engine compartment was wrecked and the car written off!
-
More than likely the plugs were spat out because the electrolyte got too hot, caused by overcharging. I use an Optimate on each bike so I never have to jump start it off the van. If it's spitting plugs out when it's being ridden, I would suspect the regulator.
-
yes there should be caps on to make it sealed, did it explode with gases when being charged? Wow if it did luckily it was not on the bike
Actually they just popped, no Hollywood style explosion. 
The battery was on the bike.
I guess the regulator overcharged it until it dried out.
Shall I seal the holes before charging it?
Thanks
el__burro
No never plug holes while charging via battery charger, it will explode. Unless it's a controlled unit like a trickle charger which slowly charges, reaches it alternate max, then just charges in small controlled cycles to keep in top tune. I have an Oxford altermate and has been great, just plug in and leave and it manages itself. If that's what you have then or similar use that to recover your battery's. Usually battery chargers just charge until it boils, then your battery is no good and worse explodes. Happy biking
-
Tried to resurrect batteries with various chargers and optimisers over the years and they never ever lasted more than a few days. Sorry it sounds brutal but yours has been cooked, throw it away.
Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
-
It looks from your readings as if two cells art completely stuffed, that 8volt after charging is the giveaway.
It's very unlikely you'll get that back to anything like normal.
Be very careful charging in a non vented area. if you spark it while connecting or disconnecting it after or during charging it will explode.
I think you got your regulator sorted before on another post? So it should be ok to use a new battery without risk to it now.
-
I recently had a pair of Oxford 601 optimisers that cooked both lead acid batteries they were connected to. Had to bin both batteries, so I binned the optimisers with them. I use a pair of Noko Genius units now, and so far so good.
-
I have a Motobatt sealed battery on mine cost around £47.00 from Dave Silver,it as great cranking power.
[ Note they are not on his website ring them to order as it has to be the right one size wise etc to fit in the battery box]
regarding trickle chargers I use the Halfords one around £24 this one only gives out 1.25amps, this output is for most bike batteries to prevent damage, it has a on-off cycle, it stops charging when the battery is fully charged & then when the charge drops it kicks in again.
I have been using 2 of these Halfords charges on my CB750 & Thruxton for 3 years with no issues at all, & the Thruxton is still on the stock battery, both bikes are only run occasionally in summer months.
I don't leave the chargers on constantly through the winter storage period although you can if you want, i tend to keep the chargers on for a month & then turn them off for a week & whilst the charger is off I start the bikes up to warm them up a tad.
-
Not sure that you will recover the battery, may depend on the charger that you are using?
Never used 'optimizers', but I did buy a 2 amp bike charger (image attached) a number of years ago as battery suppliers recommendations.
A definite improvement on the life of my batteries
-
What a response..
i will disconnect it right now.
I've read motobatt, are they the ideal?
thanks
el__burro
-
Yes they are very good. Glass matt batteries are fuss free with no acid to leak onto your chrome and paint. They can be left without an optimiser or charging for months without any problems. The cranking amps are also far superior to ordinary lead acid.
-
I've switched over to mottobat's on two of my bikes now. Very well made and a strong performance. I especially like the dual terminal fixing option and the use of Allen headed terminal fixings instead of the usual dumb semi-captive back nut that always falls out and drops down behind the engine never to be seen again. Another option is an Odyssey battery, fantastic but expensive. I have one fitted on my Jota, it's smaller then the original but has the power to spin the motor fast enough for instant starting. Its lasted 7 years so far, result!
-
Mottobat are the way to go if you own a number of bikes just swap the terminals over and fit to another bike
They have saved me a small fortune in batteries and sprag clutches in the Aprilia
The one in my dads Triumph Trophy 1200 is mounted on its side and about 4 years old now
Mottobat did go through a stage of selling duds but they seem good again now.
-
I've bought three motorbatt and I'd consider one to be a dud, wont start if left a month, but will if switched back to the old varta battery.