Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: philward on January 18, 2017, 10:23:47 PM

Title: Not a bad price?
Post by: philward on January 18, 2017, 10:23:47 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750-Four-K2-1973-/252729456338?hash=item3ad7d976d2:g:~YcAAOSw9GhYfwKs
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: JamesH on January 18, 2017, 11:29:29 PM
It's a scam Phil. Seller has 0 feedback and I think this is the bike the 'real' owner has been hawking around for £8-10k (dreaming) for a few months now. Or I could be completely wrong and it's a good deal.
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: Trigger on January 19, 2017, 06:56:44 AM
It's a scam Phil. Seller has 0 feedback and I think this is the bike the 'real' owner has been hawking around for £8-10k (dreaming) for a few months now. Or I could be completely wrong and it's a good deal.

You are not wrong James, I have seen that bike under a trade seller some 9 months ago. Has a few things wrong it  ;)
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: royhall on January 19, 2017, 08:01:33 AM
It's a scam Phil. Seller has 0 feedback and I think this is the bike the 'real' owner has been hawking around for £8-10k (dreaming) for a few months now. Or I could be completely wrong and it's a good deal.
Must have missed something there James. How's it a scam if he's selling at that price? Is it to just get you to visit then the price goes up? Sorry for being a bit thick here.
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: Green1 on January 19, 2017, 09:02:31 AM
Always be very weary of anyone one with 0 feedback,Item locations that say London London or Manchester Manchester etc etc or anyone that says contact them by private email 

On rare occasions they can be genuine but be very cautious and if in doubt run run as fast as your wee legs can carry you
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: MCTID on January 19, 2017, 09:15:23 AM
I agree that it looks like a classic scam E Bay advert to me.

The usual words of caution are 'If it looks too good to be true, it usually is'.

If any of us had such a bike - with such low mileage, in an original and reasonable condition, would we be selling it for £3800 ? I think not. Surely this kind of bike would be best to sell at auction to find it's true value in todays marketplace ?

The Guy who collected and delivered my last bike said that he was constantly amazed at how gullible people were when handing over their hard earned, and he knew of a few people who had been scammed - the latest being a Squaddie who had wired £5K to somebody in Poland - who had promptly disappeared off the face of the earth.
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: royhall on January 19, 2017, 09:28:38 AM
Still missing the point. How does this scam work. You show up with a van, satisfy yourself that it's what they describe, quick check on the phone that it's not stolen, pay the man and take it away in the van. I'm missing the scam somewhere. Plus anybody sending 5k sight unseen deserves to be ripped off. I must have missed something here.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: kevski on January 19, 2017, 09:34:15 AM
Haven't all of us had a zero feedback status on eBay, so while I had a low feedback I was a scammer I take it, with such an item would you not go and see it and check the paper work and pay a few pounds for a vehicle check, and if the seller was not allowing viewings you could be suspicious, the reg number is there so if you wanted the bike you could do all the checks needed, instant bad judgement is not the way to go, don't you just love a kangaroo court.
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 19, 2017, 09:45:19 AM
Just think about the points that don't stack up Roy. The bike has been on the market, advertised by different people at hugely varying prices for possibly up to 1 year. The current seller only registered with ebay a few days ago. He says he was told by a VOSA inspector that it had never been MOT'd, how would the inspector know that?. This chap days he has owned it since 2005, strange how MOT history on the DVLA site only starts in that year!!. And then there is the fact it has so many thing wrong with the bike, like a totally wrong front end, wrong master cylinder, fitted with a grab rail when I shouldn't have one, etc, etc, etc and I know nothing about bikes but can see those parts are wrong. Wether its a genuine scam or not, I wouldn't know but, its definitely a bike worth avoiding IMO.
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: royhall on January 19, 2017, 09:54:15 AM
These are things that you view the bike to check. At that price a few things wrong are to be expected. Clearly he just couldn't sell it at the higher price, can't blame the guy for trying. If on viewing he starts the funny stuff don't buy it. Still can't see the scam sorry.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 19, 2017, 09:59:07 AM
Agree Roy but I remember seeing it advertised previously at circa 10k last year, even one of the photos was used back then when it was advertised by a trader.
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: royhall on January 19, 2017, 10:10:23 AM
Bargain at 3.8k then. Buyer should always be wary, but if the bike turns out to be correct result. Still don't know how it's a scam though nobody is explaining that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 19, 2017, 10:28:06 AM
Maybe 'scam' was not quite the correct word originally Roy, just maybe 'bloody dodgy'
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: royhall on January 19, 2017, 10:52:36 AM
Yes I can go with bloody dodgy. A fair few of those bleeders around. Buyer beware eh.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: Chris400F on January 19, 2017, 11:32:10 AM
I tend to agree with Roy. If you think it looks good value at that price you go and check it out and if you are not happy with the bike or seller then you walk away.

Just for interest I had a look at the DVLA Vehicle Check. The MOT runs out in May 2017 so it was obviously done a while ago.

Also, thinking about eBay seller feedback, as I recall kevski was recently telling us about the problems he had with his 350/4.
I looked at the seller's items for sale at the time and I'm pretty sure his seller had a 100% positive feedback from a pretty good number of feedbacks.
So you would think he was reasonably trustworthy but that didn't seem to be the case in that instance.

So yes, buyer beware.
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: philward on January 19, 2017, 02:20:26 PM
Now you have given input I remember an advert last year for a Z1 at about half the going rate and when I looked at the other items, they where all high end bikes and cars at low prices - seem to remember you had contact them by email so maybe their after a route to personal details via paypal email? Posted as curious - wasn't in the market for it
Phil
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: MrDavo on January 19, 2017, 03:35:34 PM
The ad seems to have been pulled, which tells you something.

I used to be involved with a site called Scamwarners, so I have seen a bunch of these over the years, and gone along with a few, to see what would happen.

There would have been an unexpected twist to this, commonly the bike is overseas, or the owner is working overseas / on an oil rig, but the bike can be yours as long as you put the money into an escrow account (I've had faked emails from 'eBay Europe'), or alternatively someone else has just agreed to buy it, unless you can send a deposit (or all the money) now, by some untraceable means such as Western Union.

The common thing in all these scams is stolen photos of a desirable bike / car, a new or hijacked eBay account and a price that's so good that you just have to have it, even if it means telling your common sense to shut the f*ck up.
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: royhall on January 19, 2017, 03:46:55 PM
That's the scam angle I was requesting. Buyer beware if you can't see it and run it, run away. There's some stupid people in the world that would fall for that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: Seabeowner on January 19, 2017, 03:52:54 PM
Pulled off by ebay as if it didn't exist. Here is the original.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-Honda-CB750-Four-K2-/162322081752?hash=item25cb2667d8%3Ag%3ArEoAAOSwZ1BXdBBw&nma=true&si=qHHhEEVWY2j8Z4qgi72BWphGQfo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: mike the bike on January 19, 2017, 05:34:18 PM
I would have to see it running, at the seller's premises, with the V5,  MOT etc before handing over any coinage.  All this "seller is on an oil rig" would be ringing alarm bells big time.  I can't believe there's so many gullible people about.
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: royhall on January 19, 2017, 05:38:24 PM
I would have to see it running, at the seller's premises, with the V5,  MOT etc before handing over any coinage.  All this "seller is on an oil rig" would be ringing alarm bells big time.  I can't believe there's so many gullible people about.
Well said that man. All common sense of course, a commodity sorely lacking these days. My there aint half some dick heads about.
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: mike the bike on January 19, 2017, 06:28:42 PM
I get fed up with people phoning me at home telling me there's something wrong with my computer.   I don't know what their angle is but it's not kosher.   Perhaps they just ring to see how many "Fcuk Off" replies they get in one day.
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: royhall on January 19, 2017, 06:33:23 PM
Don't know why they bother telling me my computer's knackered when I already know it is. Strange.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: MrDavo on January 20, 2017, 02:55:36 PM
Buyer beware if you can't see it and run it, run away.

But look at this CB500, it's in Denmark, but 6 people in the UK have bid on it, it's currently at £4,004.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262802801166

Quote
Bike is in in the north of Denmark EU, and have danish registration papers.

Serious buyers are welcome to come and see & test before purchase.

Lovely bike, may or may not be genuine, no feedback as a seller (you just have to buy a few nicknacks to get feedback as a buyer for 9 items) and it could be a hijacked account for all we know. I can't believe any of the bidders have flown out to the north of Denmark to see it.

I was tempted myself until I saw where it was. Would you have been?
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: Trigger on January 20, 2017, 04:13:51 PM
For that kind of £££ I would like to see the correct, head light, head light bowl, switch gear, tail light, horn and the list goes on  ;)
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: mike the bike on January 20, 2017, 05:40:19 PM
And why is it on ebay.co.uk instead of  ebay.co.dk?  Something doesn't add up.
Title: Re: Not a bad price?
Post by: MrDavo on January 20, 2017, 06:49:34 PM
He has another one as well:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-cb-500-Four-1975-Immaculate-restoration/262802063381