Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Nurse Julie on February 13, 2017, 07:18:45 PM

Title: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 13, 2017, 07:18:45 PM
Hi Chaps
On my CB550 project, I quite fancy a chunky looking back wheel instead of the standard size of 1.85 x 18. The question is will a 2.15 x 18 CB750 wheel rim have enough clearance in my CB550f swing arm ?
Ta in advance
Julie x
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: Chris400F on February 13, 2017, 07:29:14 PM
Thought I'd seen a similar query recently.
Does this thread help Julie? http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,11927.msg91289.html#msg91289
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: kevski on February 13, 2017, 07:35:20 PM
When i wanted a wider wheel on mine the swing arm would only allow for a 20mm wider tyre that allowed me about 5mm gap between the swing arm and tyre , you can increase the tyre size and keep the standard rim, it's only a small increase so won't affect the handling at normal speeds.
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 13, 2017, 07:39:03 PM
When i wanted a wider wheel on mine the swing arm would only allow for a 20mm wider tyre that allowed me about 5mm gap between the swing arm and tyre , you can increase the tyre size and keep the standard rim, it's only a small increase so won't affect the handling at normal speeds.
Are you talking about a CB550F swing arm?
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: Johnwebley on February 13, 2017, 08:15:36 PM
Julie !!

  the last thing a slim lady like you needs a chunky rear end !!!
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 13, 2017, 08:20:15 PM
 ;D ;D ;D I find not eating too many burgers helps John
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: Johnwebley on February 13, 2017, 08:41:52 PM
;D ;D ;D I find not eating too many burgers helps John

  agrees,I hardly eat enough to keep a bird alive !!
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: Menno on February 13, 2017, 08:58:54 PM
Someone is working on the same project in Germany:

Ich habe einen Felgenring der 750Four 2.15x18 hinten und wollte den auf meiner 500FourK1 hinten einsetzen die einen vergammelten Originalring 1.85x18 und verrostete Speichen hat. Das scheint ja zu passen wenn ich das hier so lese.

I would say, if it fits in Germany.... ;)
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 13, 2017, 09:08:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies chaps. Menno, Trigger has just translated that for me. EVERYBODY IS TALKING ABOUT A CB750 / CB500/4 SWINGING ARM. I AM ASKING ABOUT A CB550 F SWING ARM  ::) ::) ::)
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: kevski on February 13, 2017, 09:42:08 PM
When i wanted a wider wheel on mine the swing arm would only allow for a 20mm wider tyre that allowed me about 5mm gap between the swing arm and tyre , you can increase the tyre size and keep the standard rim, it's only a small increase so won't affect the handling at normal speeds.
Are you talking about a CB550F swing arm?

Yes 550.
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 13, 2017, 09:49:47 PM
Thanks but is yours a K or F as I know they have different shaped swinging arms
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 14, 2017, 08:43:00 AM
Thanks Ken. I wii have a rummage in Trigs workshop to see what I can find. I will have to wait till next week to try it out as my frame and swing arm and all the other bits went to the powder coaters yesterday.
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: kevski on February 14, 2017, 09:33:43 AM
It was actually a 500k3 identical to 550k3 and I got a 4.25 tyre in there.
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: Menno on February 15, 2017, 09:30:59 AM
Are there differences in the cb500 k swingarm and the cb 550 f swingarm?
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: Trigger on February 15, 2017, 09:49:44 AM
Are there differences in the cb500 k swingarm and the cb 550 f swingarm?

Different animal all together  ;)
Title: Re: WILL THE RIM FIT????
Post by: kevski on February 15, 2017, 02:37:35 PM
I am referring to the 550/500 k3 which had the same size wheels and tyres as the f, wider back wheels than the earlier 500/550 models