Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Green1 on March 03, 2017, 11:04:54 PM

Title: CB550 coils
Post by: Green1 on March 03, 2017, 11:04:54 PM
Does the 550 share the same coils as the 400&750? Only asking as the 550 has developed a massive flat spot right up to 3500rpm and was hunting at tick over today when ridding in the rain.
I have a spare set of pattern coils I could try so it would be rude not to try them.
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: Johnwebley on March 03, 2017, 11:21:54 PM
Does the 550 share the same coils as the 400&750? Only asking as the 550 has developed a massive flat spot right up to 3500rpm and was hunting at tick over today when ridding in the rain.
I have a spare set of pattern coils I could try so it would be rude not to try them.

 I am pretty sure the coils are the 703 type,same as the 500,
but your symptoms sound more than just coils
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: mike the bike on March 03, 2017, 11:23:14 PM
Are they the originals?  The reason I asked, the originals ain't rain proof.  That's why I bought Dyna coils - saves me waiting around for the RAC when there's a monsoon.
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: Green1 on March 03, 2017, 11:38:19 PM
My original 750 coils were rain proof I only swapped them when I ran out of HT lead to trim and that developed a low down flat spot.

John don't say that that's not what I want to here. It had issues before and had James scratching his head for awhile. 
But It did run well when I picked it up about 7 months ago.
Today was the first ride in heavy rain.
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: JamesH on March 04, 2017, 12:04:09 AM
Mick - can't recall now but did I fit a boyer bransden kit to the 550? If it's something I did / didn't do right, make sure you drop me a pm and we'll work it out. I've still got to get that bloody clock cover / fender stay up to you come to think of it...
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: Green1 on March 04, 2017, 12:08:20 AM
Don't panic James I'm not blaming you but the bits and bobs you owe me would be nice  ;)

Yes it does have the boyer ignition
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: deltarider on March 04, 2017, 08:41:23 AM
Many start by suspecting the coils and although they can fail, this is seldom the case. Both CB500 and CB550 are vulnerable in wet conditions. Carefully inspect and clean the HTleads and check for possible arcing between the HTleads/plugcaps and the head. Best seen in the dark. Some spray a mist of water to detect it. By listening closeby you may hear the cracks. How old are the plugcaps? What do they measure? Are sparkplugs gapped correctly and not too wide? Did water(mist) get behind the ignition cover?
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: mike the bike on March 04, 2017, 03:29:50 PM
On mine the rain was getting in between the HT leads and the coil.  Tried sealing them but it didn't last
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: Johnwebley on March 04, 2017, 04:12:07 PM
On mine the rain was getting in between the HT leads and the coil.  Tried sealing them but it didn't last


 on mine the HT outer fractured completly next to the coils,

 I was to lazy to try the repair,so bought a couple of Dss finest !!!!
with Boyer ignition they give a massive spark
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: Green1 on March 04, 2017, 04:29:17 PM
I don't actually suspect the coils most likely the HT leads as they are pulled very tight on the caps.
I did manage to get a look at it today and there was a little moisture behind the point cover so if I'm lucky it might just be that.
I looked into why the throttle is heavy as well and one of the cables has a twist in it and the other is as stiff as hell so that should be an easy fix with a couple of new cables.
 
Are the cable supposed to be tied to the frame above or below the coils? Mine are just floating around at the moment
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: Green1 on March 06, 2017, 05:54:10 PM
I sealed up the points cover and re crimped a loose connection to the boyer today and now there is just a small flat spot at about 3500rpm. So I'm getting there. Still got to check for arcing plugs and caps are all new so they should be good. 

I also looked at a job in Leiston  today so popped in at DSS and have been told Honda have discontinued the push cable. So it looks like I will have to use pattern cables.
I'm just running it with the one new pull cable at the moment and it has improved the throttle no end.
 
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: Green1 on March 06, 2017, 09:42:04 PM
Just run the bike in the garage as its nice and dark out there and there's no arcing from the Coils or leads wet or dry.
So I guess that's good  ;)

Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: Green1 on March 06, 2017, 11:06:43 PM
Just noticed a little bit of staining around the cast carb inlet manifold on the engine side
Would an air leak hear cause my flat spot?
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: hairygit on March 07, 2017, 07:11:14 AM
Certainly a possibility!
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: mike the bike on March 07, 2017, 07:19:57 AM
Deffo.  My 550K3 didn't have power above 4000 unless I pulled the choke out a bit.  Changing the inlet rubbers transformed it.
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: Green1 on March 07, 2017, 06:28:03 PM
Well I took the carbs of sealed the manifold up a bit better and took it for a run.
No different what so ever then after about 20miles I could here a tapping noise. 
As soon as I stopped at the side of the road it vanished so after a bit of head scratching and after a quick fiddle  ;) I jumped back on and the second I pulled away Tap,Tap,Tap,Tap   ??? so jumped off again then noticed my speedo cable had snapped and was flapping around hitting the spokes. On closer inspection someone had put shrink wrap around an already damaged cable.  >:( 

Anyway after that for some strange reason I decided to kick start the bike don't know why as Iv now fixed the start button.
Nothing no compression tried again nothing panic starts to set in then I remembered it was doing that because the clutch needed adjusting  ::)
Another quick fiddle at the side of the road (I know twice within 200 yards  ;D ) fixed that issue pulled away no hesitation and no flat spot at 3000rpm

So now the bike runs almost perfect and goes like stink I just need throttle cable B and a speedo cable now. 
A bigger petrol tank would also be nice as I managed to sink a hole tank of fuel as well
Oh and the bits James owes me  ;)
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: deltarider on March 07, 2017, 07:35:43 PM
Quote
I just need throttle cable B
Mine is still in its plastic bag, for some 20 years now. Never bothered to fit it.
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: Green1 on March 07, 2017, 07:42:14 PM
It its for the yankee bars do you Fancy selling it.
I can't see the point in it but there's a space for it so I want one.
Title: Re: CB550 coils
Post by: deltarider on March 08, 2017, 07:29:36 AM
Mine has the lower bars.